Digital tele-convertor on HF S100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Digital tele-convertor on HF S100

I am looking at getting either the Canon HF S100 or the Sony XR520E.

I like the idea of the digital tele-convertor on the Canon. According to Canon this is different to the digital zoom feature as it uses the centre of the 8MP CMOS and uses 2MP (1920x1080) - the equivalent of a x1.7 optical extender. This means the picture remains sharp unlike the horrible digital zooms which would use less pixels and use processing to make up the missing pixels.

Has anyone used this feature? Is it any good?

Does anyone know if the Sony has a similar feature? It has a 12MP chip so at least in theory it could do it!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Peter Axford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes it works well

Yes, it does work the way they claim..it's pretty mazing actually! I have also used it in conjunction with a screw on 1.5 adapter. Great for nature stuff.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes it works the way it should, image is sharp and clear, new sony XR's do not have that feature, but they have 12x zoom, and using tele-convertor with the full 10x zoom on the Canon gives you the same tele (very close) as sony's 12x
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:30 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I think I will be getting one now!
Peter Axford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders