Flash/HD equivalent of the HV20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flash/HD equivalent of the HV20?

I realize I can find this stuff out on Canon's website, but they have a few too many cameras to choose from these days, and I know you guys can give me a quick answer.

Toying with the idea of getting a flash-based camera. However, I LOVE my HV20, and am hoping to swap it out for something that's virtually the same, minus the tape. Do any of Canon's camcorders fit the bill?

A few key things for me are:

-24p mode that doesn't require CineMode to be turned on (the Canon website makes it sound like the 2 features are now tied together)

-At least as much manual control as the HV20 (fine if I have to continue using the cell phone trick)

-Prefer the ability to use my current accessories (WD-H43 wide angle adapter and BP-2L14 battery

Finally, are viewfinders officially a thing of the past? I'll admit I use my LCD a lot, but I can't get used to the idea of not having a viewfinder at all.

Thanks!
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

probably this one....

Canon VIXIA HF S10 Dual Flash Memory High Definition Camcorder

can't use your wide angle as they changed the size
of the front opening....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Snook View Post
I realize I can find this stuff out on Canon's website, but they have a few too many cameras to choose from these days, and I know you guys can give me a quick answer.

Toying with the idea of getting a flash-based camera. However, I LOVE my HV20, and am hoping to swap it out for something that's virtually the same, minus the tape. Do any of Canon's camcorders fit the bill?
The Canon HF100 (while inventory lasts) comes somewhat close. $599 at B&H. You will lose zebras and peaking, manual focus is on joystick now and may not be as easy as the roller on the HV20. But this cam is very useable, I work with two of them.

Quote:

A few key things for me are:

-24p mode that doesn't require CineMode to be turned on (the Canon website makes it sound like the 2 features are now tied together)
Cine mode is a separate function on this one. You can use either alone or both. Your choice. Just like I remember with the HV20 I had. I use cine mode almost exclusively but don't use 24p, much prefer smoother motion. I do use 30p some.

Quote:

-At least as much manual control as the HV20 (fine if I have to continue using the cell phone trick)
Pretty much the same with exceptions noted above.
Quote:

-Prefer the ability to use my current accessories (WD-H43 wide angle adapter and BP-2L14 battery
For your wide angle adapter you will need a 37-43mm stepup ring, you may find results to be a tad sharper as you'll be shooting through a larger proportion of the central portion where most aux lenses show fewer abberations. On the battery you cannot use anything not made for the HF series. There are "knockoff" batteries from China available but most do not function fully with Canon cameras or chargers. I chose to "bite the bullet" and purchased the larger Canon batteries.

Quote:
Finally, are viewfinders officially a thing of the past? I'll admit I use my LCD a lot, but I can't get used to the idea of not having a viewfinder at all.

Thanks!
Here's the solution I found. Hoodman Hoodloupe 3.0 with the camcorder strap. From hoodmanusa.com, picture should show below. I also often use the cinetactics.com Screen Hoodie30 .

One more thought, flash based cams require some very serious computer "horsepower" to edit. Quad core at 2.66Ghz or FASTER is recommended. Mine is quad core at 2.4Ghz and editing is possible but not always a "nice" experience. I'm looking at Core i7 in the near future.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Flash/HD equivalent of the HV20?-hcamm.jpg  
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Might consider the HG-21, still has the view finder as well as 24p,30p and is true 1920x 1080, has a 120Gig HD with Flashcard up to 32 Gig recording ability built in as well...with a lens adapter ring you will be able to use your HV20 lens...Between the HD and a Flashcard you can get up to 15 1/2 hours of full HD 1920x1080 24Mbps film at one time .......
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Here's my reply from another thread about my experience switching from a HV20 to a HG21.
Unfortunately you will have to buy new batteries ( I bought three BP-827 batteries which last about 4.5 hours with the LCD open, and about double this with it closed ), and a new wide-angle adapter, which is a drag, but this camera was a significant upgrade for me.

You also have to give up any idea of focus pulling with the HG21, but I've generally found the focus on the HV20 way too deep to have any real noticeable effect, so I don't miss being able to do this.

REPOST BELOW:

I had been using a Canon HV20 professionally for the past 2 years, and recently
switched to the Canon HG21. After using the HG21, I would never go back to
any of the Canon HV cameras. The biggest pros for me have been:

- Completely silent camera
- 20 hours of recording via the hard-drive
- No more drop-outs
- MPEG-4 CODEC has far fewer artifacts than the HDV CODEC
- Better audio circuitry ( quieter and better fidelity )
- I can quickly review any previous take and not worry about damaging the tape
- No more tape to buy!

...The only drawback so far has been the necessity of having a powerful computer to handle MPEG-4 video editing with Sony Vegas Pro. ( I built myself a new Intel i7 machine, which I've been wanting for a long time )
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I ordered the HG20 from Dell and hopefully should have mine in hand by the 15th of May, The HG20 has been selling out quickly online...The HG20 is about 300.00 cheaper than the HG21, it has a 60Gig HD instead of 120, no view finder, and slightly different LCD... nothing dramatic in my case.
I ordered the HG20 the go along with my HG10 which has been a excellent camcorder, I rarely if ever use the view finder and have yet to fill up the 40Gig Drive, so the extra 20Gig HD as well as the 32Gig Flashcard option is gravy..
My canon wide angle lens will fit the HG20 with a adapter ring so no need to order another, a shoe adapter will also allow me to use my Rode Video mic, so basically my only extra expense will be the back up battery..
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders