HV30 Scuba Diving PROMO YouTube HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV30 Scuba Diving PROMO YouTube HD

I made this promotional video for a Red Sea diving company last year. Other than the still images, EVERYTHING here is shot with the HV30. The underwater sequences placed the camera in an IKELITE Polycarbonate housing.

Even though I also have the XH-A1, I wouldn't swap this little camera for the world. Under certain conditions, the HV30 camera is pretty amazing. The A1 IS better, but at 5 times the price, I don't think it is 5 times the camera!

Remember to click the HD button for best quality.
YouTube - Egypt RED SEA Diving Heaven in HD

Last edited by Mike Hardy; May 3rd, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Great video. Thanks for posting. Makes me remember all my past diving trips in the 80's and 90's. Maybe one day I'll be able to get back into it.
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn View Post
Great video. Thanks for posting. Makes me remember all my past diving trips in the 80's and 90's. Maybe one day I'll be able to get back into it.
Hi Roger, thanks for the comment. Yes indeed, you simply MUSY get back in! Florida of all places. I'd love to dive the Keys.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Mark,

That's some amazing underwater images you captured with the HV30! Makes me wish I had an underwater housing when I took the cam to Hawaii :(

BTW, which Ikelite housing model did you use?

Also, what "underwater" settings did you use for the HV30?

Best,
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Mark,

That's some amazing underwater images you captured with the HV30! Makes me wish I had an underwater housing when I took the cam to Hawaii :(

BTW, which Ikelite housing model did you use?

Also, what "underwater" settings did you use for the HV30?

Best,
Hi Jeff.
I used the Ikelite #6071, which was designed to fit the Hv20, but also fits perfectly the HV30. It was pretty damned expensive at the time, (MORE than the Camera), but I think you can buy it in the US for around a thousand dollars.

I shot this footage in Progressive mode, (25p here in Pal Land), in Tv Mode locked at 1/50th, exactly the same settings for my topside footage, as I like the 'filmic' quality to the image. Shooting interlaced is also very good, (if not preferable in fast moving underwater movement), and I know the BBC tends to shoot in 50 interlaced for underwater footage.

I locked exposure and manually white balanced as often as possible, using white pulsating coral where possible, or just the pale sand sea bed where not. You MUST also apply the RED filter to the housing, (provided by Ikelite), for footage shot below around 8 or 9 metres, (20 feet), so as to replace the naturally lost hue.

If you dive, or even snorkel, I would recommend this housing to anyone. I do believe there are cheaper options available and use them by all means. The HV30 is a truly superb little camera, topside and below the waves.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Mike, (humblest apologies for getting your name wrong!)

Thanks very much for the info! I think 25p/24p looks very good underwater!

I checked the Ikelite model and it looks like you have plenty of manual camera control. From your video, it didn't look like you used any on-cam lights? (The visibility looked really good.)

Best,
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Mike, (humblest apologies for getting your name wrong!)

Thanks very much for the info! I think 25p/24p looks very good underwater!

I checked the Ikelite model and it looks like you have plenty of manual camera control. From your video, it didn't look like you used any on-cam lights? (The visibility looked really good.)

Best,
Hi Jeff. Yes, you have controls for pretty much everything you need with this housing. In fact, some of it I never needed to touch. Visibility was mainly very good, and I have never used lights for underwater filming. I accept their place in deep dives and for A1 quality footage, but they're really expensive, heavy and cumbersome.
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders