Merlin Settings with External mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Merlin Settings with External mic?

I can't seem to get my HV30 balanced when I ad a Rhode Mic or an Azden SGMX. Anyone have merlin setting that would work with one of these mics.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Is the mic directly attached to the camera, or to a mount that lifts it up? Do you have anything else mounted on the camera?
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Major Player

I have either Rhode or Azden mic attached to the top of the camera in the shoe. No I don't have any other weight. Battery is the standard one that came with the HV30. Without the mic I could use the Merlin Cookbook to balance it but with the added mic it seems impossible.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Wrangler

How would you describe the specific issue you are having? Presumably you are unable to get the Merlin back to it's proper slightly-bottom-heavy balance--did you extend the caliper or add weights?

Cookbook settings should really be thought of as a "quick start" method to get going with a given camera, but it is greatly beneficial to move forward and be able to balance from scratch for just this reason.

While that mike has undoubtedly raised the center of gravity quite high, that is a light camera and you should not have a problem dropping it back down again via the two methods listed above.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Major Player

I have always relied on cookbook

I have pulled out the original Merlin Manual and DVD and started from scratch so I can learn how to set up the Merlin manually. Hopefully this will help with all the different arrangements.
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Wrangler

Good to hear Greg, let us know how you get on.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders