DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Complete Newbie looking for advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/234791-complete-newbie-looking-advice.html)

Justin Thieda May 6th, 2009 11:02 AM

Complete Newbie looking for advice

-First I will provide some back story for the use of the camera that I have decided to purchase, the HV30. I am planning to go on a trip from New Hampshire to Florida with my cousin's band as they go on their first mini-tour. They are starting to make some ripples in their music careers and have recruited me as a driver, mostly because I am the only one over 25 and currently have no job. Anyway, I was thinking of using the camera for the trip. I know the indoor shots will be tough with the low light issues of the HV30, but am hoping that an article I recently read will help me through some of that. I figure to capture some outdoor activities and there may be a day off to explore as well. Outside of that, I hope to make some low budget action movies with my nearly two-week old niece, since she is quite the actor, and then, hopefully, work on some short film ideas I have, which will probably be dark in nature, but further down the road.

- That being said, I am looking for advice on what type of HV30 extras the rest of you would recommend to someone starting from scratch? I figure things like the Twoneils 35mm adapter are considered luxuries at this time with my budget, but I welcome advance ideas for later consideration along with the basics I need today. I figure I need the follow items for now and am wondering if anyone can recommend some inexpensive, yet sound, investments in those, or in any other, areas?
1. UV filter - Figure I need to buy this while I am getting the camera, so, when I went to look for one, I noticed there was quite the selection. I am not quite sure what the differences are between each of them, but I am hoping to learn that here.
2. Sound seems to be one of the most important things I need to focus on. I only put it at no. 2 because protecting the lens seems more important. My father had a Sony stereo mic in mind that he used to start out, so I can probably get that info from him, but unfortunately, the mic has moved on to a new owner. Recommendations for headphones would be appreciated, as well.
3. Lense hood - Figure this will be something that I need with the UV filter when shooting outside during the trip to keep the flare to a minimum, but it may not be a necessity at this time.
4. Software - Seems I will be going Vegas on this one, but is there anything else I need to consider? I have a few ideas for music software that I have written down from another thread.
5. Tripod - Used to film the basketball games at my university. We lost the tripod on one trip and the footage was sickening. Probably should put this higher on the list based on that alone.

Anyway, this is all I can think of at this time. I welcome any and all advice/criticism. I am sorry if this post is too long, but I am new to the posting as well. Just thought that a thread like this might be helpful to future newbies purchasing an HV series. I thank all responses in advance.

Justin

Michael Rosenberger May 6th, 2009 02:38 PM

If budget is a huge issue you can use the HV30 out of the box well enough for the video side of things. The UV lens or protective lens isn't that much at all, but should be in place.

As you mention, biggest thing would be clean audio. Audio from the internal mic would be decent. For no money, you could always try to get a board feed if available (well, you most likely have to bring your own cables). For a few hundred you can get a hot shoe shotgun mic.

Second on the list, or maybe even should have been first is an extra battery.

I would put a tripod as third on the list personally. Nothing says amateur like shaky, hand held video (thought there are techniques that require somewhat shaky hand held shots). Just make sure you pick up a tripod with a good fluid head. You'll want something with a little bit of weight for stability, so don't get the lightest sticks out there.

Again at no cost, lighting can be enhanced by creatively using *any* light fixture. You could also buy some work lights and diffuse them through a thin white sheet or similar. Just pay attention to color difference in light sources.

Lens hood is nice, but you can always frame shots to avoid lens flares.

Vegas is good for software. There is also Edius, Premiere Pro, and several other sundry packages. Again, for no cost the Windows Movie Maker cuts video just fine.

Tripp Woelfel May 7th, 2009 04:31 AM

Firstly, I wish you luck. It sounds like quite the adventure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Thieda (Post 1138637)
I know the indoor shots will be tough with the low light issues of the HV30, but am hoping that an article I recently read will help me through some of that.

Also consider the lighting in the venues where the band will be playing. Fancy flashing lighting could unearth the dreaded rolling shutter effect. I know you'll have little control over it but you should be prepared.

Quote:

1. UV filter - Figure I need to buy this while I am getting the camera, so, when I went to look for one, I noticed there was quite the selection. I am not quite sure what the differences are between each of them, but I am hoping to learn that here.

Pick the one with the lowest light loss. You could be facing some challenging lighting so let as much light in as possible. Sticking with the name players should keep you in good stead.

Quote:

2. Sound seems to be one of the most important things I need to focus on. I only put it at no. 2 because protecting the lens seems more important. My father had a Sony stereo mic in mind that he used to start out, so I can probably get that info from him, but unfortunately, the mic has moved on to a new owner. Recommendations for headphones would be appreciated, as well.

IMO, the on board mic is rubbish. Since you are actually recording a band and their sound is key, you might think about getting digital recorder and feed it straight from the mixing board. That will sound better than anything you'll capture.

Quote:

3. Lense hood - Figure this will be something that I need with the UV filter when shooting outside during the trip to keep the flare to a minimum, but it may not be a necessity at this time.

Due to the HV30's design, this could end up being non-trivial. I think you could go without for now.
Quote:

4. Software - Seems I will be going Vegas on this one, but is there anything else I need to consider? I have a few ideas for music software that I have written down from another thread.

No comment since I've never used it.
Quote:

5. Tripod - Used to film the basketball games at my university. We lost the tripod on one trip and the footage was sickening. Probably should put this higher on the list based on that alone.

Stabilization is critical, but think about options. A monopod gives some great options like you can hold it over your head for a higher perspective. I've also used one as a sort of steadicam. It does help.

Justin Thieda May 7th, 2009 02:22 PM

This is a great deal of help.

First and foremost, thanks to both of you for your responses. Excellent idea with the board feed. I'll have to look into that one, since I am not sure how advanced this tour will be.

Michael, thanks for the reminder on the extra battery. Definitely something I will need. I've been so focused on other areas, that I am pretty sure I would have forgotten it, but now it's sitting in my shopping cart at Samy's Cameras.

Tripp, I will look into the monopods. I like the possibilities and appreciate the idea. Also, I am curious about your software use and your thoughts on it?

As for the lens hood, I will probably pass on that for the time being, since neither of you seemed to think it was a current necessity.

What I am curious about still is on the subject of lenses. I currently have a Tiffen 43mm UV/Haze lens in my cart, but was curious about the CPL lens? The price would suggest that it is a little more of an advance option, but beyond that, is it an alternative to the UV or a compliment? Also, with either, should I be worried about future use of a WA lens. As Michael suggested, the 43mm was cheap, at about $10, so I would think that it's not that huge of a loss to buy one now and then a larger one with the addition of the WA lens, since I am getting the impression that the filter will have to go on the outside of it. Would that be your advice? If not, what might be the recommended course of action?

Thanks again, Justin

Bob Thieda May 7th, 2009 03:18 PM

Hey buddy....don't get the 43mm filters.
Get a 43 to 52 step up ring and use 52mm filters.
It helps eliminate vignetting, its much easier to get filters in that size and then you can borrow my 52mm wide angle and teleconvertor lens set that I used on my GS250s...

I also have an extra hood that fits 52mm...

And that simple Sony mic...still have it. The one I sold was a RODE Video Mic.
I also have an extra Studio 1 Productions XLR-PRO adaptor that just needs a cable fixed.
(You can use it to set audio levels, since that camera probably doesn't have manual settings)

Start watching for a used tripod, here and ebay. I got my Bogen for cheap from a photostudio getting rid of extra stuff.

And did you dig out your old sony DV camera? You could be practicing right now.
Remember, it's not the camera, it's the guy behind the camera. ;)

And one last thing...I don't know Samy's cameras, but at the bottom of this page is a list of approved vendors...
I would try them. You know I buy most everything from B&H...a little more money maybe, but you can trust them.

Talk to ya later,

Tripp Woelfel May 7th, 2009 08:31 PM

+1 for B & H. I buy everything there. Samy's used to have a pretty good rep, but you will not get better service then you'll get from B & H.

Justin Thieda May 8th, 2009 10:18 PM

Thanks

I appreciate all the advice and have decided to see how the next week plays out. The recently mentioned company has had some jeckyl and hyde reviews just within the last few months, which I didn't find during my initial research into them, and makes me a little nervous. For now, I will watch B&H and see if their price continues a downward trend. I may have to wait out the release of the HV40 though.

So,
Camera... Check!
Step up rings... Check!
52mm UV filter... Check!
Sony mic... Check!
Extra battery... Check!
Software... I think check.
Cable for board feed... Check into.
Tripod and possible monopod... Check into.
WA lens... Check for later.
Lens hood... Check for later.
Old Sony power cord to charge battery of Old Sony... uhhh, nope! Not yet anyway, but will continue to look.

Thanks again everyone, and good luck with all of your projects. I just hope I can help in some way if any of you ever need it. Not sure how likely that is, but you never know.

Justin

Robert M Wright May 9th, 2009 01:05 AM

This is a good filter to use, along with the step up ring (better light transmission than a standard filter, but not real expensive):

Hoya | 52mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Super Multi-Coated (S-HMC) | X52UV

Robert M Wright May 9th, 2009 01:13 AM

I'd use this, before using one of those cheapy little Sony consumer camcorder mics:

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR25 Stereo Condenser Microphone: Electronics

Bob Thieda May 9th, 2009 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 1140179)
I'd use this, before using one of those cheapy little Sony consumer camcorder mics:

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR25 Stereo Condenser Microphone: Electronics

I like the AT stuff Robert, but is that one better than this:

Sony ECMMS907 Digital Recording Microphone

I'm only asking because I have one he can use for free...worked pretty well for me when I was running on the cheap...

Bob

Harold Schreiber May 9th, 2009 06:27 AM

Hi Justin,

In addition too the other fine suggestions already made, I'd also suggest making the "IR Remote to Cam by FiberOptic Cable (TOS Link) Mod". This allows you to use your Remote while keeping your hands off the Cam for Zooming, while using a Mono or Tri Pod.

Check my posts here for this and many other useful DIY mods that work and are easy and cheap to make. You'll see many useful DIY mods made by many folks.

Harold

Robert M Wright May 9th, 2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thieda (Post 1140240)
I like the AT stuff Robert, but is that one better than this:

Sony ECMMS907 Digital Recording Microphone

I'm only asking because I have one he can use for free...worked pretty well for me when I was running on the cheap...

Bob

I haven't used that one you have. I've had a couple little Sony camcorder mics (don't recall model numbers) and that ATR25 is noticeably better than either.

Justin Thieda May 13th, 2009 09:08 AM

Momentary break

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond in a little while, but I have been a little under the weather. I took a little break from the learning stuff for a while until I was feeling better. Actually, I only slowed down a little. Anyway, I am very appreciative of all the info.

Robert, I am definitely going with the filter, so thank you. I appreciate you advice on the mic as well, but, as my father has already said, he does have a "free" mic from his newbie days. I'm not sure how "free" it will be though? I will have to pay him back with some of that love and adoration or something like it. (ho hum, lol.) Anyway, I am sure you will agree that free is great at the beginning. Regardless of the mic situation, you did save me some money on the filter since I had a $50+ Hoya HD filter in my cart. So, again, thank you.

Harold, I have not had a chance to read any of your threads, but I am signed up and have you user name searched out and waiting for a thorough reading of all you info, so thanks. Your remote idea makes a tremendous amount of sense as well, so I appreciate that also.

I will say this, finding a camera for the price that I want is tough. I saw that B&H was offering it at that price, but when I checked it out and put it in the cart, it still said $749. I know most of you will laugh at so little, but that is still 150 more than that other company I almost went with until I read a review that stopped me in my tracks. Anyway, I fear I might have to wait too long to use it on the trip, but none of your advice will be wasted, b/c I will get this camera when the price goes down or I feel comfortable with paying more. So, thanks again to everyone and have a wonderful week.

Justin