Would you suggest when trying to find the right image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 10th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Would you suggest when trying to find the right image

To get as close as possible to the look you want on the shot with the camera then working with what you have in post?
As opposed to thinking about post first and altering your settings acordingly, working backwards to your final image?

What about making room for how much brightness you lose in the capture?
Gary Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm having difficulty understanding your questions. From a general perspective I always try to capture the best quality image when recording. While I try to shoot with the edit in mind, but I do not tweak from what I deem optimal image settings.

Recording the best images will give you the best options in post.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The correct answer lies with TRIPP. The less you have to do post production, the better, more resilient and less degraded the quality of footage will be. You should always aim to achieve your desired effect in the CAMERA, not in your NLE.
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Mike... I generally agree with you. If you know the look you want for your finished work and can tweak the camera to get it there, then do it. That will give you the best result.

However, I shoot some footage without knowing what the finished product will look like. In those situations, I'll shoot fairly flat with a little boost in color saturation. (The XH A1 is notoriously flat and desaturated compared to other manufacturers equivalent cams.) This will let me take the footage anywhere I need to, within reason.

The HV series cameras default to a much more saturated image than the XH. If anything, I think it's too saturated so I run down the custom color setting to get closer to matching my XH.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Tripp Woelfel;1141572]Mike... I generally agree with you. If you know the look you want for your finished work and can tweak the camera to get it there, then do it. That will give you the best result.

Are you a lover of Presets, Tripp?

I am shooting a commision in a couple of Wild Animal parks, and find that PANALOOK gives a pleasant image, (the old one, I haven't tried the newer versions). That said, I also am taking an increased liking to NATURALO. I find that with both of these, I need make no adjustments in post. Then again, I hate to do too much correction in post simply because of the much larger file sizes and render times it produces.
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hardy View Post
Are you a lover of Presets, Tripp?
Not really, Mike. While they can be very helpful if I know what the final product should look like, I am often not that certain or need to match the footage with other cameras that don't have the option of presets. Consequently, I only use custom presets about half the time.

I must admit that I am not familiar enough with the more esoteric presets out there and since most of what I shoot are non-repeatable events, I don't have the luxury to experiment. For me, a good general purpose preset that will work even when matching to other cameras, is PANALOK2. Beyond that, I've used a small handful of others and got burned shooting autumn foliage with a preset that oversaturated reds and other colors so badly as to make it broadcast illegal in several realities.

Live and learn, right? It keeps it interesting.
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Douglas View Post
To get as close as possible to the look you want on the shot with the camera then working with what you have in post?
We used to shot a look in the production, but with so many high level color programs available anymore we shoot everything even and kinda flat exposure wise, then correct in post (what used to be the ultimate no-no lol. Fix it in post!). There are a few occasions I've blown out highs, crushed blacks, or changes other settings for one take type shoots that go to output without fiddling, but even those usually get touched in post anymore.

I think that is what you were asking.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders