NO Playback with HV30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NO Playback with HV30

Don't you just hate it when things don't work? Whichever tapes I try and use, new ones or old ones, all I get on the playback facility is the blue screen, both through the eyepiece and on the LCD. The 'play' icon shows there, but there is no footage. The minutes remaining on the tape counter goes down, (exactly as it does in record mode), but the actual hours, minutes, seconds etc facility doesnt count down. Back to Canon, methinks? Anyone else had this?
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Were these tapes recorded on that camera? If so then it's gone pear shaped.

If you're not getting timecode, then it's not reading the tape properly.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I had an issue with a single tape--never got it resolved but it hasn't reoccurred. It would play in search but not real time. I suspect the control track head was dirty on record (although I didn't think dv/hdv had one).
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Were these tapes recorded on that camera? If so then it's gone pear shaped.

If you're not getting timecode, then it's not reading the tape properly.
Hi Tripp. Yes indeed, they were recorded on the camera, although it was by trying to view footage originally filmed on my XH-A1 that brought the problem to light. The time code shows briefly when I stop or pause the tape, but when I play it disappears. It does countdown the minutes remaining on tape, however, as it does in RECORD mode.

Anyway, the camera has been packed off to the service centre. The warranty had expired on the camera by 5 days!!!, so I shall have to wait and see wht Canon has to say.
Best wishes
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hardy View Post
It does countdown the minutes remaining on tape, however, as it does in RECORD mode.
I don't know this for certain, but I think the time remaining display information comes from some type of mechanical sensor independent from timecode. This is why you'll get accurate data from that display even on a blank tape without any written timecode.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I don't know this for certain, but I think the time remaining display information comes from some type of mechanical sensor independent from timecode. This is why you'll get accurate data from that display even on a blank tape without any written timecode.
I think you are correct. It uses a different mechanism for ascertaining the amount of tape remaining. I can only hope that Canon will fix it under warranty, as it has expired by about 5 days.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Had you cleaned the heads?
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Had you cleaned the heads?
Hi Andy.
Yes, twice.
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders