Help With Wide Angle Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help With Wide Angle Lens

What I want from a wide angle lens is something subtle that I can have on a lot for a few reasons:

I do a lot of indoor shots and so I can't get far enough away

I do a lot of run and gun so with the mic on camera, the closer the better audiowise

It will make my HV20 look a lot more professional to have a lens on it all the time

So with that in mind, I just need a subtle wide angle lens to keep on. I found this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-vix...s-my-hv20.html

and was thinking of getting the Merkury 52mm. Some people on the thread said it's not much wide angle. Is it enough for something like what I'm asking for or should I get the 58mm?

And I don't know too much about filters, but I just want one I can have general use. I'm just going all general use since I don't have too much money, so would you say a UV filter is great for general use? What size should it be? I found this from the thread:

Canon HV20 Wide-Angle Lens

So from the pictures, is it a 67mm filter that is needed. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-DF-7036...2680449&sr=1-3

Thanks for all the help!
Chris Rackauckas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Chris,

The 52mm and 58mm sizes represent filter thread size and have nothing to do with how wide a field of view is. What is pictured is a 0.45x aux lens which does give a fairly wide field of view compared to the 0.66x or 0.7x which are more commonly used. And the 0.45x is about as wide as you can go without getting into the "fisheye" effect.

What is pictured looks exactly identical to what I purchased under the name Digital Concepts and mine is sharp to the point of my being unable to see any definition difference with it on or off. I chose the 0.45x because if you do any amount of indoor work the others mentioned above do not give you enough of a wide view, you will still back into walls and wish they weren't there with those.

With the one pictured you will NOT be able to zoom through it. Image quality falls apart rather rapidly once you hit and pass the 50% mark on your zoom range. Very few of the aux wide angles allow zoom-through without quality loss so I put mine on when I need wide and take it off for other work.

I keep a stepup ring to 52mm on the cam at all times, without the wide angle aux lens I also put on and keep on a 52mm Hoya super multicoated UV filter both for protection and for killing as much internal reflections as that filter will when the cam is pointed towards a light source. I also use a Hama rectangular lens hood on the 52mm filter to physically shield the filter and lens surface from stray light.

When putting on the aux wide angle lens, I remove the 52mm filter so that the wide adapter is as close to the camera lens as possible to limit distortions. The wide angle has it's own 67mm filter as is pictured in what you saw except mine is the more exensive Hoya super multilayer coated UV.

I've run comparison tests shooting where you cannot fully avoid flare from the sun and there is a great difference between the Hoya super multilayer coated filter and the $14.95 filters (I gave those away to keep from accidentally using one).
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Open DV to Canon VIXIA HV Series.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Chris,

The 52mm and 58mm sizes represent filter thread size and have nothing to do with how wide a field of view is. What is pictured is a 0.45x aux lens which does give a fairly wide field of view compared to the 0.66x or 0.7x which are more commonly used. And the 0.45x is about as wide as you can go without getting into the "fisheye" effect.

What is pictured looks exactly identical to what I purchased under the name Digital Concepts and mine is sharp to the point of my being unable to see any definition difference with it on or off. I chose the 0.45x because if you do any amount of indoor work the others mentioned above do not give you enough of a wide view, you will still back into walls and wish they weren't there with those.

With the one pictured you will NOT be able to zoom through it. Image quality falls apart rather rapidly once you hit and pass the 50% mark on your zoom range. Very few of the aux wide angles allow zoom-through without quality loss so I put mine on when I need wide and take it off for other work.

I keep a stepup ring to 52mm on the cam at all times, without the wide angle aux lens I also put on and keep on a 52mm Hoya super multicoated UV filter both for protection and for killing as much internal reflections as that filter will when the cam is pointed towards a light source. I also use a Hama rectangular lens hood on the 52mm filter to physically shield the filter and lens surface from stray light.

When putting on the aux wide angle lens, I remove the 52mm filter so that the wide adapter is as close to the camera lens as possible to limit distortions. The wide angle has it's own 67mm filter as is pictured in what you saw except mine is the more exensive Hoya super multilayer coated UV.

I've run comparison tests shooting where you cannot fully avoid flare from the sun and there is a great difference between the Hoya super multilayer coated filter and the $14.95 filters (I gave those away to keep from accidentally using one).

Having bought a HV30 i find the wide angle side of the lens does not give a very wide view at all, iam thinking of getting this lens Canon WD-H43 Wide Converter For The HV20,HG10,& HV30: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
but i have read that even this lens loses sharpness mainly in the corners, may have severe chromatic aberration and flare as well as barrel distortion, this sounds as if it is as well to put up with the poor wide angle than have these problems on the film, would these problems mainly happen if the lens was not left zoomed out all the time and for closer in shots the converter taken off as you say you do, this would realy be a no go for me as many of the things i film require changes from wide to closer in often.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the Canon WD-H43 Wide angle lens on my HG10 as well as my HG21 using a stepup ring and suffer from none of the the problems you state.....I find it a must have in my filming projects.......
Attached Thumbnails
Help With Wide Angle Lens-img_0116.jpg  
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have an HF10 and also quickly realized the need for a wide angle conversion lens. I already had a Raynox HD-6600PRO .66x 58mm adapter for my still camera, so I decided to buy a 37mm to 58mm step ring from B&H and give it a shot. I love it! It works like a charm, looks great with the camera (imo), and most importantly, the video looks wonderful at all zoom levels (also imo). You can see a picture of my HF10 sporting the wide angle lens on my Vimeo profile (http://vimeo.com/kzibart). I almost never take it off.
Kevin Zibart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Firstly Chris I'd advise against using filters - any sort of filters - with cameras using such tiny chips. Certainly use a protective UV if you're on a wind-swept beach, but otherwise it's just detrimental from a flare pov. And modern multicoatings are really tough; you can clean them carefully and often.

Next I'd say the Raynox 6600PRO would be a good choice in that it controls the barrel distortion very well, but although it's a zoom through, it gets very soft at full tele (and Raynox admit this). For indoor shots it's important to avoid barrel distortion as you don't want door frames to bow outwards as you track room to room, so the 6600 is good though not especially powerful.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Trustee

I have a .55 WA from Century that works really well and holds up in low light. It's sized for my HV10/HF100 but there should be a larger one for the HV20/30/40.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #9
Major Player

Canon WD-H43 Wide Converter For The HV20,HG10,& HV30: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
now i have had this lens for a while i can say its great.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders