DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   recording settings and tape use question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/238034-recording-settings-tape-use-question.html)

Stuart Kiehl June 26th, 2009 09:47 AM

recording settings and tape use question

Hi,
I have an HV30, refurbished, and can not import, seems to be the firewire port and different cables, different new computers, and all three Apple editing systems did not recognize the camera.
My question is this-during the process of trying to import, the settings were changed from 30p to HDV and the manual says NOT to use the same tape if these settings are changed.
I have changed the settings on two tapes trying to figure out the import problem, less than two min on each tape.

Should I not use those tapes and go with a new tape?
Thanks
Stuart

Taky Cheung June 26th, 2009 11:46 AM

Although it's not a good price, it's okay to switch frame rate in HV30 as PF24, PF30, 60i are all stored as 60i in tape.

It's really a personal preference to reuse tape or not. I re-use each tape 2 more times. but some will say there will be a higher chance of drop out on reuse tapes.

Stuart Kiehl June 26th, 2009 12:02 PM

Hi Taky

I only use my tapes once, just had never heard that changing the setting required a new tape, which it said in the manual....?
Was shifting from 30p to HDV to try and get firewire to work (faulty port, ugh!), so sending camera back. Again. First one did not have hot shoe even attached, no screws!
So, only put a few min on the tape.
Safe to re-use then?
Thanks again and greetings,
Stuart

Taky Cheung June 26th, 2009 12:05 PM

Hi Stuart

For the HV cam, mixing frame rate is fine. Like I said, it is all stored as 60i in tape. For my XH-A1, if I mix frame rate, the capturing will stop at the point frame rate changes. Then I have to open Premiere (I capture with Premiere) with a corresponding timeline preset to capture again. It is still workable just a bit annoying.

It is safe to reuse tape. It just has a higher chance of drop out

Stuart Kiehl June 26th, 2009 12:08 PM

Thanks, Taky

...for your time. Again.
Just a little weird that was written in the manual and wanted to check...
Take care,
Stuart

Taky Cheung June 26th, 2009 12:12 PM

I myself is also a big fan of the HV cam. It's very capable and shoot quality video comparable to high end camcorders. It's all good =) Do you need high capacity BP-2L24h battery?

Stuart Kiehl June 26th, 2009 12:22 PM

Battery

I am already one of your loyal and satisfied customers!
got two batteries and charger from you, but then maybe you so big and corporate, that you have forgotten the small orders..hope so and for your success

Step right up folks, and order through Taky!
Fast, reliable service and a good product and price,
Cheers
Stuart

Taky Cheung June 26th, 2009 12:24 PM

hehehe...glad you are happy with the service. Now if you come back for more, I will have to give you a discount =)