DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Just got an HV30 and have questions. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/239272-just-got-hv30-have-questions.html)

Adam Grunseth July 18th, 2009 08:34 PM

Just got an HV30 and have questions.

Hi everyone,

As the title of this thread indicates, I just recently purchased myself an HV30 camera and I have some questions. I did search the forum for answers, and although I found many opinions, they were often contradictory.

Here are my questions-

Does anyone know what exactly the cinema mode does? I was surprised to find cinema mode listed under the exposure settings. How does cinema mode affect the aperture and shutter? What else does it do?

Also I'm curious about the sharpness setting. Specifically, where do I set the slider to not add any electronic sharpening to the image? Does turning the sharpness setting all the way down simply remove any electronic sharpening, or is turning the setting all the way down adding artificial blurring to the picture?

Finally I am wondering if there is any loss of resolution associated with the progressive frame modes of this camera? In the past when I have worked interlace cameras that have a progressive setting, there is a resolution loss when shooting in progressive mode. Does this camera have any such resolution loss and if so how significant is it?

Thanks in advance for your replies :-)

Chris Barcellos July 18th, 2009 11:03 PM

Adam:

Cine Mode is a mode to designed to give a more film like appearance. It seems to simulate if not actually have a wider latitude. In Cinemode, the camera is set automatically to exposure. I believe the sharpness is actually reduced in the setting too. In early days of HV20 and in 30 and 40, we discovered that you could actually check the settings if you depressed the shutter button half way. The the camera would reveal the selected shutter speed and fstop. You lock that setting in, by depressing the toggle switch. You could modify the locked exposure with the toggle switch and lock the new exposure.

Every one wants to shoot 1/48th to simulate 180 degree shutter. Under that, and you lose resoluition. Most with film aspirations also set the camera at 24p. That was the point of the camera.

Using the exposure lock mechanism, you can shoot night scenes even using Cinemode by tricking the camera to set you initial locked exposure by using a cell phone screen, or a small light. Someone even developed a lens cap affair. Once you locked the 1/48 shutter in, you could the use the toggle to change exposure level. The exposure changes were applied to ND filter, then finally to F stop, and then shutter speed. If we had the proper amount of light set in the locking set up from the cell phone screen or other light source, we knew the exposure slider would not take the shutter below or above 1/48th.

Taky Cheung July 18th, 2009 11:52 PM

Cinema mode and Cine Mode are two different things. I beleive what you were talking about was Cine Mode. Cinema Mode is the PF24 mode frame rate.

I believe HV30 is actually equipted with progressive sensor. PF24 output as 60i all because of the HDV standard. It was shot at 24p then pulldown frames inserted to become 60i.

Tripp Woelfel July 27th, 2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1173526)
I believe HV30 is actually equipted with progressive sensor. PF24 output as 60i all because of the HDV standard.

Not exactly. The HV30 does not have a progressive sensor, not that that matters a ton. Also, the data rate is the HDV standard and some other bits too. Frame rate is not a function of that standard. However, the HV30 does use a 30fps pulldown to do 24f. Again, technically accurate, but not particularly important in a practical sense.

Taky Cheung July 27th, 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 1177497)
Not exactly. The HV30 does not have a progressive sensor, not that that matters a ton. Also, the data rate is the HDV standard and some other bits too. Frame rate is not a function of that standard. However, the HV30 does use a 30fps pulldown to do 24f. Again, technically accurate, but not particularly important in a practical sense.

The original HDV spec is 1080i. HV30 does not do 24F. It's PF24 a 24P with 2:3 pulldown to form a 60i stream. HV40, however, supports 24F.

Terry Lee July 28th, 2009 08:52 AM

And therein lies the head ache of the HV30 and those who want to shoot in cine mode because in order to avoid the inevitable ghosting, you must remove pulldown which can only be done on certain editing programs, some easier than others.

Richard Hunter July 29th, 2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Lee (Post 1177719)
And therein lies the head ache of the HV30 and those who want to shoot in cine mode because in order to avoid the inevitable ghosting, you must remove pulldown which can only be done on certain editing programs, some easier than others.

Hi Terry. As far as I know, Cine mode only affects the exposure, gamma and colour matrix, not the frame rate. It is 24P that is the real problem I think.

Richard

Taky Cheung July 29th, 2009 09:22 AM

Canon refers PF24 (24p) as Cinema mode. It is confusing.