HFS100 vs Canon Rebel T1i (video only) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HFS100 vs Canon Rebel T1i (video only)

Hey everyone I am new to the forum and I am glad to be.
I just returned my hv30 recently and I am contemplating between an hfs100 and the rebel T1i
Here is what I have concluded already. The rebel has no manual control vs the hfs100 has aperture/shutter and gain control (basically complete manual control). The rebel shoots 1080p but only at a choppy 20fps, so you must revert to the 720 shooting vs the hfs100 which has multiple framerates. There is no audio input on the rebel (plus the rebel encodes at 12bit audio vs the hfs100's 16bit audio). There are much much more rolling shutter artifacts in the rebel vs the hfs100.
But still the rebel has a much much larger sensor allowing for a much shallower dof and the colors are so evocative like the mark II which I love. (BTW I traded the hv30 in mostly because I wanted gain/iso control from the hfs100 so I do not want to be disappointed by the video grain).

Could you guys help me out please.
Mayer Chalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

In my opinion you're better of with the HF S100. It don't think there's that much difference in color.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would say only get the Rebel if you already have a main video camera, e.g. use it for special shots/ cutaways. Also handy for photos. Get the hfs100 now and think about getting the Rebel or its replacement in the future when you have some spare cash.

I think the next generation of Video DSLR's will be alot better than the 1st generation so I would wait if I was you.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Exactly

That is what I thought. I thought I would buy the hfs100 now as the main a-roll camera, and buy the t1i later on. I already have a canon pro sd xl1 but that sucks a** compared to the hfs100 (plus the hfs100 has almost the same amount of manual control). Do you have experience with the canon gl1/2 or canon xl1/2 series because I want to here your pov.
Thanks if you have time can you answer some of the questions on my other post http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-vix...l-cut-pro.html.
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I had a go at the Rebel today, I was very impressed very nice picture but I already have an SLR and recently got a Sony Z5 which is amazing, so I think I'll wait abit before getting a VDLSR maybe the 2nd or 3rd gen ones.

I hope you have a good time with your hfs100 looks like a great camera.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks the hfs100 it is

It has only been recently I have been looking at some video dslr because at my work we use the 5d mark II and it is amazing, but the 5d is a much better video dslr than the t1i because of its complete manual control, larger sensor, and a mic input. The hfs100 is built as video camera with some still capabilities where as the t1i is a dslr with video capabilities. Plus I already spent money on the rode videomic which I will use with the hfs100. It will take a couple of generations before the hinderances of video dslrs are fixed.
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Trustee

I sure wish I could afford the 5D MkII but finances made it wiser for me to go with the T1i. To address the lack of manual control I got an adapter ring and a 50mm f1.8 Nikkor the Canon CANNOT take control of. I can set the aperture for whatever I want and get real control over DOF. See this thread for a short video that shows what it can do.

Shallow DOF test: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photo-hd-...ikkor-t1i.html

Night Scene Test: YouTube - T1i Night Test Short Ver

I've already tried running a ZoomH2 recorder to get stereo audio and found I could synchronize it pretty easy with the mono audio recorded with the T1i video. All I have to do is drag the WAV file to the extra audio track and drag it until the audio waveforms match, then mute the T1i audio. The built in mics on the ZoomH2 do a pretty good job but I can also use my Rode mics with it if I want their sound characteristics.

I won't try to use it as a primary production camera but plan to use it for what it can do that my HF100's can't. And I'm watching the HF S100 prices at both amazon and B&H.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

HFS100 perseveers

the t1i can provide great results but even with the 1.8 lens the camera is still automatically setting the shutter and iso. On the hfs100 you have control of the shutter speed and iso, or the aperture and iso, plus there is audio control on the hfs100 as well as color peaking, zebras and whole lot more! I'll be ordering it monday from bh. BTW the hfs100 and the hv30 have alot better controls and is sharper than the hf100.
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Trustee

The video footage I've seen done with the HF S100 (set at 24Mbps I'm assuming) is absolutely stunning, and that's one reason I'm watching prices. When it comes down some I intend to nab one and possibly sell one of my HF100's.

Yes, I'm very much aware of the T1i automatically setting shutter and ISO even if I can set aperture manually. But when you look at the video realizing for the first time you have the shallow DOF selective focus I used to take for granted in outdoor portrait work, seeing the video matching the photographers visual concept, the 2 settings you couldn't control don't seem at all important.

Maybe I'm different, if what I use isn't "perfect" all the way I look for "workarounds". I've always been able to pick up a camera, feel out it's limitations, and go to work with it, staying within the limitations if I have to. I used to have to pick up anything from Nikon F, Hasselblad, press camera, Mamiya RB, and get results.

I'll go for something better when I can, but in the meantime I'm going to find ways to make what I have or what I can afford work for me.

I want the HF S100 for a bit better definition, more manual control (that "roller" on the left side looks larger than what I had on the HV20 and I want that for manual focus) easier manual focus (manual focus by joystick on the HF100 is a bit of a bad joke), the zebras and peaking. But the HF100's still do a heckuva job if you get behind it and go to work.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders