DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Medieval Church from a lost world. HV30 Footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/239900-medieval-church-lost-world-hv30-footage.html)

Mike Hardy July 28th, 2009 10:40 AM

Medieval Church from a lost world. HV30 Footage

This is the most amazing 13th Century Medieval Church called Fairfield, in the Romney Marshes.

It is fairly unique in that it has no graveyard nor trees, mainly because over the centuries it was frequently prone to flooding. Its worshipers often had to row in a boat across the field to visit.

Now its parishioners, together with the village it once served, are LONG gone. It sits alone in the middle of a desolate field amongst waterways and sheep.

I never intended to make a composite or seasonal comparison, but retrospectively, I think it looks quite 'other wordly', especially compared throughout the seasons.

Medieval Church from a lost world........ HDV Canon HV30 on Vimeo

Joel Peregrine July 28th, 2009 12:51 PM

Very cool. I felt like ghostly parishioners would appear at any moment...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Hardy (Post 1177766)
This is the most amazing 13th Century Medieval Church called Fairfield, in the Romney Marshes.

It is fairly unique in that it has no graveyard nor trees, mainly because over the centuries it was frequently prone to flooding. Its worshipers often had to row in a boat across the field to visit.

Now its parishioners, together with the village it once served, are LONG gone. It sits alone in the middle of a desolate field amongst waterways and sheep.

I never intended to make a composite or seasonal comparison, but retrospectively, I think it looks quite 'other wordly', especially compared throughout the seasons.

Medieval Church from a lost world........ HDV Canon HV30 on Vimeo

Terry Lee July 28th, 2009 04:01 PM

That was amazing.. I absolutely love Medieval Europe. Your video sparks the imagination of those who think the same.

Mike Hardy July 28th, 2009 04:40 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, it is most amzing old Church. According to legend it was built by a grateful Archbishop of Canterbury who fell into a ditch while crossing the Marsh and was rescued after praying to St. Thomas Becket. On his third time struggling to the surface, (purportedly to be his last breath!), he was hoisted out and kept his promise. The Church is dedicated to Thomas Becket. In my other Vimeo clip about Medieval Churches, I film inside this.

Terry Lee July 29th, 2009 12:14 AM

There must be quite a difference in the way Americans and Europeans think about "Medieval Europe." Most Americans have only visited in books and pictures where as Europeans..well live there. We, as either Americans or Europeans can only understand so much about the human past before it becomes strictly imagination. Beautiful how film can guide that imagination.