suggestions on optional equipment for HV30 (lenses) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

suggestions on optional equipment for HV30 (lenses)

Well I just got the HV30 and I am not sure the 10x optical will be good enough to film surfing and other scenery. Should I get the Canon TL-H43 1.7 telephoto lens? Will it zoom all the way in without seeing the lens in the shot, and is there a cheaper option? I have also read a lot in here about 52mm conversion lens? What are the advantages and what brands would you recommend.

I also have the odd wedding shoot come up, any suggestions on affordable mics and on camera lights? Should I also have a wide angle lens? The only extra I have purchesed so far is a 43mm lens hood that supposedly screws on the front of the cam. (awaiting delivery)
Thanks so much in advance to your responses - Tony
Tony Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anyone ?
Tony Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Major Player

The Canon H43 1.7x is a fine lens, and gives good results. I think it is well worth the money. It does not zoom through though. Vignetting starts at around 40-45% of full zoom in, so you are limited to the top half of the zoom range. Most add-on lenses behave like this - some are limited to around the top 30% of zoom only.

Any lens added to the front of the camera affects the balance, and I would not want anything heavier than this on the front - certainly not anything like the Century 52 mm thread 2X lens that I still have from my days with a Canon GL2. You would also need a thread adapter ring for a lens with any other thread size. Last time I tried this, I found that the camera produced a very blurred image at all focal lengths.

If you are used to still cameras, then the widest end of the Canon zoom is not very wide at all - say 40 mm in the old 35 mm camera terms. The matching Canon lens is not much wider than this, so most people go for one of the Raynox lenses. I have never used a wide angle add-on though.

This is also well worth buying - it makes manual focus a great deal easier!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-vix...ery-slick.html

Last edited by Alan Craven; August 3rd, 2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Second thoughts
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Some people do fit a lot of extras on their HV series cams
HV30 Pictures - Page 9 - Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders