Wide Lens converter for HF-S10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 16th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wide Lens converter for HF-S10

Hi All - recently got an HF-S10 and was wondering about wide lens converters.
( max wide angle on the camera feels kind of cramped indoors )
Can anyone tell me whether these models will widen the angle on a HF-S10 while
preserving sharpness and minimizing CA?

DC58A
Canon | WC-DC58A 0.75x Wide Angle Converter Lens | 0299B001

DC58B
Canon | WC-DC58B Wide Angle Converter Lens | 1595B001 | B&H

WD58H
Canon | WD-58H 58mm 0.7x Wide Angle Converter Lens | 8030A001

I know theres one specifically made for the HFS10 : Canon | WD-H58 Wide Converter Lens (0.7x) | 3572B001 | B&H Photo
but I was wondering if the lower cost ones listed above would also be compatible
and minimize distortion/colour abboration + no vignetting at full wide zoom.

(since they're all 58mm threads + Canon brand.)

Thanks
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't speak for the 58H (for Gl2) but with the H58 (HF-S10 and 100) you get a really sharp image throughout the entire zoom range and no barrel showing ever. I often just leave it on the camera. I wish it had front threads for filters.
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Major Player

I have been using the recommended WD-58H -.7 for the HF-S10 for the last week on a trip and I just leave it on. It is an excellent piece of glass, rather heavy, but it is just part of the camera, no problems at all, other than the frustration of not having a front thread which is somewhat disappointing from a company like Canon.

However, hang the expense, just buy it , you won't be sorry.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
I have been using the recommended WD-58H -.7 for the HF-S10 for the last week on a trip and I just leave it on. It is an excellent piece of glass, rather heavy, but it is just part of the camera, no problems at all, other than the frustration of not having a front thread which is somewhat disappointing from a company like Canon.

However, hang the expense, just buy it , you won't be sorry.

RonC.
I could have saved $100. I guess newer toys have higher prices.
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
I can't speak for the 58H (for Gl2) but with the H58 (HF-S10 and 100) you get a really sharp image throughout the entire zoom range and no barrel showing ever. I often just leave it on the camera. I wish it had front threads for filters.
Agreed. I just posted some examples in another post. I thought someone might want to see.
David M. Spell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

have you got these distortion problems even on protection filters ?
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
no problems at all, other than the frustration of not having a front thread which is somewhat disappointing from a company like Canon.
In fact quite the opposite Ron. It's very clear-headed thinking by Canon.
The wideangle converter has no filter threads for a very good reason, and that is that once attached, you're working at a focal length of about 4 mm.

Hold your fingertips 4 mm apart and marvel at that minute focal length. Now imagine what the dof will be, even at maximum aperture. Spot on - from a few inches to infinity.

So when you add a filter you add two more air-to-glass surfaces, two more surfaces that are never perfectly clean, and in against the light shots these imperfections become glaringly and painfully obvious.

The Raynox 6600Pro lens has a hood thread - it's not described as a filter thread for this reason. And no need to 'protect' the front element - modern multi-coatings are really tough and you can clean them regularly with no ill effects.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Tom, for educating me.

It's nice to know the reason for this, but as I often say, - why don't the manufacturers just tell us this in the first place & then we would understand.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks for the thanks Ron - and it's good to know I'm getting the message across about filters and very short focal lengths. I'm not adverse to using a UV as mechanical protection if I'm asked to film windsurfers all day on the beach, or if I'm asked to film a sticky-fingered childrens' party - but at all other times I say DON'T - resist the temptation to fit a filter, and especially so if you use a wide converter.

I use an aspheric element on the front of my Z1 that gives me the (equivalent) of a 17 mm lens. Wow - it's strikingly and frighteningly wide, but even so, I sometimes have trouble with it if I shoot into the light.

It's impossible to hood as it sees so wide, but even though it's a single element, beautifully T* multi-coated and is as spotless as I can get it I still see the odd spot or two on my footage. Thank goodness it's only a single element and that I don't use filters. Every added element adds to the flare levels.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders