HF S1000 Cine Mode Shutter Speeds? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
Most folks may know this already, but I didn't. On the HF10 and HF100, it's possible to get a readout of the aperture and shutter being used in any mode (Tv, Av, CINE) by half-pressing the PHOTO button. (You need to have the 'Still I REC" option activated for this to work).

Maybe this works for the HF S100 also? - worth a try.....
It works on the HFS100 but you have to set the camera mode dial to "Dual Shot." Flipping back and forth between modes makes it more hassle than it's worth.
Xian Messerschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Messerschmidt View Post
It works on the HFS100 but you have to set the camera mode dial to "Dual Shot." Flipping back and forth between modes makes it more hassle than it's worth.
It seemingly works for me in the video-only mode too, when replaying recorded footage the aperture and shutter speed match what was reported by a half-press.
Stuart Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
When I play back footage in the camera shot in Cinema mode and cycle through the on-screen data info, I can see that shots shot in 'good' exterior light show up at 1/50th. Whereas an interior shot under 'gloomy' conditions will show as 1/25th.
Robin, I too was under the impression Cine Mode tried to keep the shutter speed at 1/50th on a PAL camera, but after a day's shooting that's not what mine is doing - at all.

It seems that the camera is trying to maintain f4.0 and will vary the shutter speed to do that. In low light, it'll first open the aperture then drop the shutter speed, but in bright light, it'll stick as closely as possible to f4.0 and vary the shutter speed. During one of my shots, a helicopter flew low overhead so my instant reaction was to film it, and I can see that the camera stayed at f4.0 even with the bright sky, but the shutter speed shot up to 1/250th and the unnatural effect on the rotor blades is obvious... which is precisely not what I want it to do.
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Robinson View Post
It seemingly works for me in the video-only mode too, when replaying recorded footage the aperture and shutter speed match what was reported by a half-press.
On the HFS100?
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Messerschmidt View Post
On the HFS100?
Yes, although you have to set simultaneous recording to "On", otherwise a red, flashing warning icon will appear beneath the video recording quality indicator.
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #21
Trustee

Surely, if you switch to Dual Mode you're over-riding all other settings and are shooting in what was called Easy Mode on the HF10?
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
Surely, if you switch to Dual Mode you're over-riding all other settings and are shooting in what was called Easy Mode on the HF10?
Don't use Dual Mode... in other words, leave the camera on the film mode, the middle setting on the dial at the rear. Then go into the Function menu and the still shooting settings (second from bottom). The default is Simultaneous Recording: "Off", if you change that to any other setting - I have it on LW/Super Fine, then the half-press will work regardless of the shooting mode, be it Cine, TV etc, and whether any other custom options are set.
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #23
Trustee

Okay, I see what you mean now.
I've just tried it and it works fine.
Very useful - many thanks!
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Robinson View Post
Robin, I too was under the impression Cine Mode tried to keep the shutter speed at 1/50th on a PAL camera, but after a day's shooting that's not what mine is doing - at all.

It seems that the camera is trying to maintain f4.0 and will vary the shutter speed to do that. In low light, it'll first open the aperture then drop the shutter speed, but in bright light, it'll stick as closely as possible to f4.0 and vary the shutter speed. During one of my shots, a helicopter flew low overhead so my instant reaction was to film it, and I can see that the camera stayed at f4.0 even with the bright sky, but the shutter speed shot up to 1/250th and the unnatural effect on the rotor blades is obvious... which is precisely not what I want it to do.
That's why I've sworn off Cinemode. It will vary the shutter speed as it deems necessary. That may be fine for some people but not for me.
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #25
Trustee

I think it depends what the alternative is and what kind of shot you are after.

If you want the scene lit darkly, then perhaps it's best not to let the camera to change to a slower shutter speed. But you might have to deal with excess noise in post production. In which case, a change in shutter speed may have been a good alternative.

The other alternatives are adding gain, which Cinema mode will also do and adding more light to the composition.

When composing in low light, at some point, sensor noise becomes an issue that has to be acknowledged.
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #26
New Boot

This is all very helpful information so thank you for sharing it. I intend to purchase the HF S10 (PAL) and quite a lot of my shooting will be in the low light conditions you find in a forest in daylight and at dawn/dusk, so pretty gloomy sometimes. The camcorder will often be handheld and I will be walking a fair bit too while shooting. I don’t mind a darker picture overall or deep shadow as long as the images do not contain too much noise (hence the gain limit). I am considering the following settings: 25p 1/50 AGC limited to 12dB. Sharpness and colour set to -1.

Leaving aside the OIS aspects, based on your experiences with this camcorder would you recommend other settings for the conditions I will be filming in? I prefer a smooth ‘film look’ and the advantages in low light offered by 25p, and don’t mind a slightly soft image. I have read quite a lot about the Cinemode function and there has been a debate about the pros and cons. From what I have picked up, resolution is not significantly sacrificed but you lose some control over what the camcorder is doing in terms of shutter speeds. Nevertheless, if I can set the AGC limit with cinemode this might be a good route for me to take. One consideration is that many of my scenes will be complex in content with densely packed detail (lots of verticals and a million leaves) so I recognise motion may actually be my biggest problem when trying to avoid noise and artifacts. Any advice gratefully received.
Charles Higham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders