DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Rode Video Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/397123-rode-video-mic.html)

Martyn Hull September 14th, 2009 10:02 AM

Rode Video Mic

The Rode Stereo mic i have fits perfectly in my HV30s accessory shoe, now i am thinking of getting a Rode Video mic as an alternative for certain filming.But i read somewhere that the Video mic will not fit or rather slde in the HVs accessory shoe, does anyone know if this is true as according to its spec it has a standard shoe fitting.

Rikki Bruce September 14th, 2009 11:38 AM

It fits fine.

Martyn Hull September 15th, 2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikki Bruce (Post 1352650)
It fits fine.

Thanks Rikki another point if you have a RVM you will know the VM is 8.84" will it be ok with the canon wide angle on, i ask because the muff on my RODE STEREO had to be trimmed on a sony cam i had to stop hairs showing, the RS is 7" but looks like Tthe shoe fitting is farther forward on the VM, the RS does not cause problems on my HV30 with the wide angle lens on.Martyn

Martyn Hull September 17th, 2009 10:12 AM

Well i got mine today it does fit but not as easily as the RS external etc, anyway it does not matter mine is going strait back far more motor hum picked up than by the RS, strange from a directional mic.

Allan Black September 17th, 2009 08:30 PM

Hi Martyn, probably too late if you've returned the VM, but you were feeding too much audio level from the VM into your HV30. That's why you heard the motor hum and I'd guess you were on auto in a quiet room.

In the battery compartment of new Rode Videomics there are 3 sets of dipswitches so you can set the output level to, 0, -10 and -20db. The VM is shipped with them set to 0db output which is too loud for the HV30.

Set them to the -10db setting, then adjust the HV30s level on manual, for speech from about 3 feet out ahead of the VM on the cam. Then you won't hear the motor hum.

You'd only set it to -20db when there's giant audio happening like Formula One car races etc. This comes up a lot, RODE are looking at shipping the VM set to -10db.

Cheers.

Martyn Hull September 18th, 2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1366652)
Hi Martyn, probably too late if you've returned the VM, but you were feeding too much audio level from the VM into your HV30. That's why you heard the motor hum and I'd guess you were on auto in a quiet room.

In the battery compartment of new Rode Videomics there are 3 sets of dipswitches so you can set the output level to, 0, -10 and -20db. The VM is shipped with them set to 0db output which is too loud for the HV30.

Set them to the -10db setting, then adjust the HV30s level on manual, for speech from about 3 feet out ahead of the VM on the cam. Then you won't hear the motor hum.

You'd only set it to -20db when there's giant audio happening like Formula One car races etc. This comes up a lot, RODE are looking at shipping the VM set to -10db.

Cheers.

Thanks Allen i have unpacked the mic again and could see the settings you mention but i have a strong fealing now this mic has been used as the settings would not alter for me anyway its going back, thanks again mate.