Does the Vixia have a simultaneous line out of the camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Does the Vixia have a simultaneous line out of the camera?

I have a HF200 and am going to be giving a presentation with it where I show some composition tips.

I thought I'd ask if the camera will do a simultaneous line out, either during recording or just when the camera is on.

Perhaps to:
a) a regular computer monitor.
b) a HD computer monitor
c) a laptop/desktop computer
d) a SD TV set/VCR
e) a HD TV

Connectors can include a HDMI cable USB, A/V out cable, component out.

We all know we can record first and then play back to any of these, but I'd like to see it on a 'big' screen as we're messing with the camera. Has anyone done this? Is there a special setting or is it just plug and play?

Thanks.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Look in the Setup Menu(s) for something labeled "Output Onscreen Displays"

(caveat: based on HFS11)
Kevin Bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi, yes, I have that on my camera as well.

"onscreen displays" can be set to 'on' and in the manual it DOES say the camera's display can be seen on a TV or monitor.

But that's all it says. I assume that takes care of d), through a A/V cable. But what about HD through HDMI or a laptop?

I know when I hook up the camera to the laptop, it reads it as another hard drive. Is there a program that will allow me to view the footage at the same time, as if the laptop was another monitor?

Or what about a monitor with a serial input or a HD monitor with an HDMI or USB input? I'd test the HDMI but I don't have a cable (got the monitor though).
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Trustee

You can view directly from the camera via HDMI or Component onto an HD TV or even an HD projector. No problems there at all.
It will work either when the camera is recording or just on standby, although you might need to power the camera from mains via the charger to stop it powering down - although you might have an option to switch off any power-saving function.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
You can view directly from the camera via HDMI or Component onto an HD TV or even an HD projector. No problems there at all.
It will work either when the camera is recording or just on standby, although you might need to power the camera from mains via the charger to stop it powering down - although you might have an option to switch off any power-saving function.
Hi Robin, thanks for your reply. I did call Canon and they said that I couldn't do that. However there appears to be only one solution to see if it does do it. I gotta find a cable and try it myself.

Unless you have a Canon and a HD computer monitor and have already done the live view?
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Ronald,
I use a 20" LCD HD TV attached via HDMI for monitoring straight from the camera whilst shooting.
I don't suppose it would be the same as a PC monitor... though you say that you have access to TVs or a projector.
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
I use a 20" LCD HD TV attached via HDMI for monitoring straight from the camera whilst shooting.
Sounds portable!

Here's an S100 dolled-up: "Finally got my rig how I want it!"

Ronald, might I just suggest that you TRY it???
Kevin Bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Trustee

Yeah, I guess I should have added: in controlled indoor situations - not up a mountain... :-)
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

oh, and Henry Olonga has also been recording the live HDMI output directly for terrific results
Kevin Bjorke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders