HV40 vs HV30 - am I off my rocker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV40 vs HV30 - am I off my rocker

Ok, so I wanted to purchase the HV30 for a while now, but kept waiting for a better deal. Well, seems I waited to long and they are no longer selling the HV30 unless I get a refurbed one (which I am not totally against).

But my issue is, I was thinking for the longest time that the HV40 only recorded onto SD cards vs minidv and I see now that is not the case.

My question, does the HV40 record onto either cards or tapes or is it just tapes? I would prefer tape at this point, but if it is universal, that is a bonus.

Anyone suggest buying a refurb HV30 vs a new HV40?
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Tape only. Card is for photo
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Derrick,

The HV40 is a tape only camera. I've only used tape -- have an HV20 -- but really like it over tapeless systems because the tape backup is always there. I keep the files that have been transfered from my camera to the computer stored on large hard drives, but I've already had a couple of issues with corrupt files and a hard drive failure that made the tape invaluable.

My workflow is generally for personal and limited work use (education) and my recordings are generally short in time, so I transfering data from tape to computer is never an issue.

Last spring, before a trip to South America, I considered upgrading to an HV40, but decided that my HV20 would suffice -- a decision I have not regretted. If I was in your stuation now, I would probably go for a refurbished HV30 because personally I do not need the biggest difference: the native 24p mode. It interested me, but really am quite happy with 60i.

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Phill, the research out there on the HV40 was not real clear when reading it. I actually think I am going to go with the HV40. It will used as a back up camera to the XH A1 and it is honestly probably more camera than I need, but due to sun reflection, the HV20 wont work so I am going to go new and buy the HV40.

Since B&H has 100 holidays a year, they also just lost a sale from me.
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Major Player

I think you'll be very happy with the HV40. I read just about everything I could when it first came out and it looked like a solid camera. If I didn't already have an HV20, it would have been a great purchase, but the new features didn't make it worth the investment. I also have an A1 and I've played around with 24f/24p and just don't care much for the look -- at least for the stuff that I do -- compared to 60i. The quality of the image that you'll get is fantastic (as just about everyone who has used one will tell you). If it had a lanc port and better low-light performance, it would be my only camera.

Im curious about what you meant regarding sun reflection with the HV20.

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders