DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   the hsf10 or hsf100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/466156-hsf10-hsf100.html)

Anthony Auci October 20th, 2009 05:04 PM

the hsf10 or hsf100?

Was thinking about going with the hsf100 but it only using cards makes me leery. The reason being a friend of mine has a hd cam using cards. A older one,he shot a scene and the card failed. Now knowing this friend he probably used the bargain card. Dont know if that makes a difference? and if I decided on the hsf10 is the 11 a that big of a change? your thoughts thanks

Robin Davies-Rollinson October 21st, 2009 02:55 AM

I use the HF S100 and have had no trouble with cards. I only use Class 6 and record at the highest bitrate.
I can see no advatage in even considering changing to the HF S11 - there's not enough difference to warrant it...

Stuart Robinson October 21st, 2009 10:53 AM

Ditto. I chose the HF S100 over the HF S10 because a) it was cheaper and b) the internal memory is more difficult to access than a card, since the camera has to be connected to a computer.

Like Robin, I only ever record at 24MB/s and haven't had a problem yet. I only use 16GB class 6 cards of reputable origin; Bytestor, Transcend and SanDisk Extreme.

David M. Spell October 21st, 2009 06:08 PM

Add one more vote for HF-S100 from me. 24MB/sec recording works great and that bit rate plays back on my PS3 with no issues. Which was a surprise. However using a mini-HDMI connector directly to TV for viewing is wonderful as well. I'm very pleased with the camera so far.

Anthony Auci October 21st, 2009 07:35 PM

thanks guy I ordered the hf s100 today:)

David M. Spell October 23rd, 2009 05:25 PM

Just one thing and I hope you already know this - but you'll need a powerful computer to deal with AVCHD. My PC workflow is:

record to cards
use $9 card reader to offload files
transcode files with Cineform NeoHD
edit in Premiere Pro
or edit in Avid (but that's an additional transcoding step)
output to MP4 and view on PS3 or upload

Eventually I'll be burning to Blu-Ray but no burner yet.

Steve Wolla October 24th, 2009 11:59 PM

I have the HFS-10, and am generally happy with it, save for the somewhat awkward interface and menu. Between the HFS-10 and HFS-100, I opted for the '10 as I was going to China and thought the built-in hard drive would possibly give me a litle more flexibility. It may have, but....I also have an HMC150 that I use to earn a living with now, and have never missed its not having a built-in hard drive. So there really needs to be something more than the built in drive to justify the price differential, in my mind anyways.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the HFs-11 give you an option to attach a Lanc control? I thought you could add an accessory device that would alow use of Lanc control devices. Depending on what you shoot, that may be significant.

Stuart Robinson October 25th, 2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Wolla (Post 1437494)
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the HFs-11 give you an option to attach a Lanc control?

That's correct, but there are also suggestions that it'll work on the HF-S10/100 too, although I haven't seen any first hand reports yet.

Robin Davies-Rollinson October 25th, 2009 04:56 AM

I understand that it will work with the HF S10/100.
Anyway, I've got one on order from B&H Video in New York, so when it arrives next week, I'll be in position to confirm!
If not, watch this space or e-Bay!!!

Steve Wolla October 25th, 2009 12:44 PM

If by "it" you are referring to the module that allows Lanc connection to the HFS-11, the answer I got from Canon at Duigital Expo was no, it will not work on HFS-10, 100.

Xian Messerschmidt October 26th, 2009 07:11 PM

The LANC adapter will work on several newer Canon models with some possible minor issues...

Robin Davies-Rollinson October 27th, 2009 07:21 AM

The LANC controller has just arrived - and it's working fine with my HF S100.
Zoom, on/off, - and even more importantly, focus!!!
That last function alone is worth the money for me. It'll be much easier to manually focus from the pan bar.
I haven't tried it with an external mic yet, so fingers crossed that there aren't any audio issues. I'll get back later with more results.

Kevin Bjorke October 27th, 2009 07:33 AM

Are you using the ZR-2000, or....?

Robin Davies-Rollinson October 27th, 2009 08:21 AM

Yes, but I also use the Manfrotto 523Pro normally and that's fine as well...

Stuart Robinson October 27th, 2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1438481)
Zoom, on/off, - and even more importantly, focus!!!
That last function alone is worth the money for me.

Oooo... how fast is the focusing Robin? Is it possible to do focus pulls, or is it still a case of twiddling until your finger drops off?