Screwed on wide angle lens too tight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Screwed on wide angle lens too tight

Dear friends, I tightened my wide angle lens too tight and when I went to take it off it became one with the original lens. Is there anything I can do? Where can I get a new stock lens for my HV30?
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

put it in a zip lock bag, put it in the frig for about 5 minutes.. take it out and see if you can
get it off...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Trustee

If that doesn't work, apply a small amount of PB Blaster around the gap near the threads holding the adapter in place. You don't need much at all as its capillary action will work its way into the threads and lubricate it. PB Blaster comes in a spray can but you should not spray it on. You'll get too much on it and it will go everywhere. Spray some into a container and use a cotton swab to carefully apply it.

PB Blaster should not be corrosive to plastic parts. I've used it for years and never had a problem with it melting any plastic but that is not to say it isn't possible. You might want to swab a bit into the enclosed battery compartment and let it sit for five minutes. If the plastic doesn't deform in that time you should be fine.

If you try this approach, you'll want to clean both surfaces and adjacent areas on the camera and lens adapter after you get them apart. Alcohol should do the trick.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks friends, I shall give those recommendations a try. If it fails, were is a good place to buy a replacement lens?
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Trustee

A bit pessimistic, aren't we? If you're talking about the lens that is part of the camera and not the one that got stuck when you screwed it on, I think Canon is your only decent choice.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, I'm slightly pessimistic because there is so very little to grab onto, to unscrew it from the lens. It tried using a pair of pliers but it damaged the threads a little. I think I must buy a new stock lens.
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Wrap a thick rubber band around the lens and grip it using that; the extra friction should make it come off real quick.
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Inner Circle

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._58mm_Set.html

Cheers.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #9
Major Player

I screwed a filter onto a camera too tight once. By doing a little bit of searching online I found that I could flip a mouse pad over and press the camera and filter into the grippy side of the mouse pad then turn the pad or camera and the filter came off no problem.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders