DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Telephoto lens for HV40? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/468733-telephoto-lens-hv40.html)

Patrick Fager December 1st, 2009 03:57 PM

Telephoto lens for HV40?

I am planning on buying an HV40 to shoot some nature and documentary footage. What is a good telephoto lens to capture wildlife? And are there any techniques for using telephoto lenses on a camera like this?
Thanks!

Mac Sherwood December 1st, 2009 06:43 PM

If your on a very tight budget I would suggest a Zeiko, Zeikos Inc.. For the kit and price we got it for, I can say the lenses are actually very decent. You could look into that maybe, but other than that I'm not too sure

David Rice December 1st, 2009 10:20 PM

HV 40 Telephoto

I used the a Canon 1.7 teleconverter TL-H43 with my HV20 and HV40. A Great lens. Due to health problems, I'm getting out of video and willing to sell the Canon TL-H43 for only $150. I used the lens to shoot this video:

Rick Sovitzky December 2nd, 2009 08:11 AM

Pretty nice David. In the same vein as one of mine: YouTube - Elm Grove Park

Rick

Patrick Fager December 3rd, 2009 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. Great videos! It looks like the quality will hold up with these lenses, which was my main concern. Anyone else have some footage using a telephoto lens on HV20 30 40? And does anyone know about Raynox lenses? Are they any good?

Martyn Hull December 4th, 2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Rice (Post 1454902)
I used the a Canon 1.7 teleconverter TL-H43 with my HV20 and HV40. A Great lens. Due to health problems, I'm getting out of video and willing to sell the Canon TL-H43 for only $150. I used the lens to shoot this video: ESTUARY on Vimeo

Some great film David and rick,PLEASE tell me how you get such steady footage with an HV cam and teleconverter, i used to get some fair and steady close ups when i had an FX7 even with a HC1 and SR12, but since i have had my HV30 any zoomed in film even without my converter looks shaky in even a slight breeze, i turn the anti shake off when using my velbon 600 which has been fine with my previous cams,the HV is not the sturdiest of cams and i have put my shaky footage down to that but if you can take film like that with your HV i must be doing something wrong.

Rick Sovitzky December 4th, 2009 08:12 AM

Heh heh - you should see some of my long stuff. Even on a tripod, if there's a good wind, that thing vibrates and wiggles. Granted, the tripod and mount aren't industrial strength. Still, a tripod is an absolute must. For long shots, OIS will not hack it.

I must also say since I shoot lakes quite a bit, I have found that OIS is annoyed at certain patterns of ripples and waves. So, since I have it on a tripod, I turn OIS off, even though many have said it doesn't make a difference whether on or off (when on a tripod).

Also, don't forget about motion blur - increase the shutter speed.

Rick