Telephoto lens for HV40? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Tourist

Telephoto lens for HV40?

I am planning on buying an HV40 to shoot some nature and documentary footage. What is a good telephoto lens to capture wildlife? And are there any techniques for using telephoto lenses on a camera like this?
Thanks!
Patrick Fager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM   #2
New Boot

If your on a very tight budget I would suggest a Zeiko, Zeikos Inc.. For the kit and price we got it for, I can say the lenses are actually very decent. You could look into that maybe, but other than that I'm not too sure
Mac Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Major Player

HV 40 Telephoto

I used the a Canon 1.7 teleconverter TL-H43 with my HV20 and HV40. A Great lens. Due to health problems, I'm getting out of video and willing to sell the Canon TL-H43 for only $150. I used the lens to shoot this video:

David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Tourist

Pretty nice David. In the same vein as one of mine: YouTube - Elm Grove Park

Rick
Rick Sovitzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks for the info, guys. Great videos! It looks like the quality will hold up with these lenses, which was my main concern. Anyone else have some footage using a telephoto lens on HV20 30 40? And does anyone know about Raynox lenses? Are they any good?
Patrick Fager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
I used the a Canon 1.7 teleconverter TL-H43 with my HV20 and HV40. A Great lens. Due to health problems, I'm getting out of video and willing to sell the Canon TL-H43 for only $150. I used the lens to shoot this video: ESTUARY on Vimeo

Some great film David and rick,PLEASE tell me how you get such steady footage with an HV cam and teleconverter, i used to get some fair and steady close ups when i had an FX7 even with a HC1 and SR12, but since i have had my HV30 any zoomed in film even without my converter looks shaky in even a slight breeze, i turn the anti shake off when using my velbon 600 which has been fine with my previous cams,the HV is not the sturdiest of cams and i have put my shaky footage down to that but if you can take film like that with your HV i must be doing something wrong.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Tourist

Heh heh - you should see some of my long stuff. Even on a tripod, if there's a good wind, that thing vibrates and wiggles. Granted, the tripod and mount aren't industrial strength. Still, a tripod is an absolute must. For long shots, OIS will not hack it.

I must also say since I shoot lakes quite a bit, I have found that OIS is annoyed at certain patterns of ripples and waves. So, since I have it on a tripod, I turn OIS off, even though many have said it doesn't make a difference whether on or off (when on a tripod).

Also, don't forget about motion blur - increase the shutter speed.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Sovitzky; December 4th, 2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: adding motion blur
Rick Sovitzky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders