DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV40 has Really Loud Buzzing from Tape Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/470312-hv40-has-really-loud-buzzing-tape-drive.html)

Kevin Janisch January 1st, 2010 10:09 PM

HV40 has Really Loud Buzzing from Tape Drive

Hi Guys,

I just got an HV40 from BHphoto.com and it buzzes like crazy when in record mode. It's so bad it gets pickup up by the built-in mic. My wife can even hear the buzz from 5-8 feet away. Please tell me this isn't normal. I've already recorded 3-4 tapes so I think it's safe to say it's been somewhat broken in but the buzzing still persists. Thanks.

Kevin

Rodger Marjama January 1st, 2010 10:33 PM

Just got mine from B&H a week ago.

Make you a deal.

You find out if yours will print HDV back to tape and I'll listen to mine while recording and see if I can hear it buzzing ;>)

Seriously though, it should not make any buzzing sounds, mine doesn't anyway. Most of these small camcorders will pick up some camera noise, but unless were talking something different here, buzzing isn't normal.

-Rodger

Colin McDonald January 2nd, 2010 03:13 AM

Although my experience is on HV-30s not 40s, I don't think this is normal from your description.

I'm not clear whether this is only mechanical noise from the tape/tape transport that can be heard by listening as it records, or whether the buzz has also some electrical source that been recorded on the actual tape.

Try playing a tape you recorded on a previous camera, and also recording on another tape from a different batch (an unused end portion of a previously recorded tape for example). Try taking the camera outside if weather permits or at least away from all sources of electrical and RF interference. Also try recording with the audio at manual and the gain fully down. That should eliminate noise captured by the mic as you record.

As has been pointed out there is always a certain level of noise from the transport. I have an old Sony 1st gen DV camcorder that now does a fair imitation of an electric shaver, but a new HV-40 should be pretty quiet.

You have checked for wasps? :-)

Kevin Janisch January 2nd, 2010 12:57 PM

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to have to get a replacement from B&H.

Colin McDonald January 2nd, 2010 01:24 PM

Bee and H - there you are then.

Just tell them its buzzt and we think that's a-pollen. Mind you, they don't normally hive off goods that aren't workers - they won't sting you for a duff camera.

Martyn Hull January 3rd, 2010 04:42 AM

Well i dont know if mine is as bad as yours but the noisy tape deck on my HV30 is the worst of any cam i have owned and using the onboard mic is as good as useless, even my external mic pics up the buzz in quiet surroundings noticeably,this is without doubt the worst thing on the HV series.

Michael Galvan January 3rd, 2010 09:08 AM

My HV40 is pretty silent, so you should definitely get this replaced.

B&H is great. I shop there all the time for my needs (which is too much, lol).

They will replace this for you. Good luck.

Christian Williams February 2nd, 2010 06:38 PM

My three-month-old HV40 is fine, no buzz with either on-board audio or DM-50. I know that's no help to you, but does suggest you may get a good one eventually.