HV30-settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV30-settings

So far I have only used the automatic settings when shooting with my HV30.

But tomorrow I'll go out and try to get some footage to test "time-lapse" and slow motion.

My amateurish question is:
What settings are preferable i.e. shutter speed / aperture.

The weather forecast for tomorrow in Sweden is -8 C, overcast with snow on the ground.

I'll later use FCE for editing.

Probably a silly question but...
Hans Sandstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Time lapse/slow motion

Not sure quite what you are hoping to do here, Hans. The HV-30 doesn't have any settings for timelapse or overcranking as such. If you are just going to speed up the footage in post, then this is a more general question.

Also, making shutter speed and aperture settings manually is a bit tricky, but can be done.

This has been discussed a number of times from HV-20 days onwards. I did a quick search and found this thread on dvinfo which gives a link to another forum http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vi...tml#post859584
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Colin,

As I said, I realized this was a stupid question but hoped that there were some general settings for the conditions I mentioned. I've no background in photo and therefore shutter speeds and aperture are a new experience to me. But I will learn, hopefully by checking the thread you gave.
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Trustee

I don't think your questions were stupid, but there are some limitations with these cameras. I think they are amazing for their size and cost, but I'm not going to be selling my XH-A1 any time soon (though I suspect my family would prefer that I did - everyone seems to want great video and audio without large cameras and external mics being in evidence).

I would suggest that you get to know the camera better by reading right through its user manual and while you are at it, download a pdf copy from Canon http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vi...tml#post867566 and use it to find obscure things quickly with the "find" function in Acrobat Reader. And of course, keep reading here at dvinfo - there's so much information based on the experience of so many people using these cameras for all sorts of work (and play!)

Last edited by Colin McDonald; January 9th, 2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link.

I'm learning every day by using this forum and the Apple FCE forum.

Check out my first videos here:

Hans Sandström's videos on Vimeo
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Hans,

The HV30 is limited in the over/under cranking area as mentioned above. You might want to experiment using the Speed control in Final Cut to see if that will help you achieve some success.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #7
New Boot

Your best bet with the HV30 is to set it to P mode and then make your adjustments based on what looks best for the scene. Since the HV30 does not have any way to do timelapse in-camera it will be a completely post operation.

The HV30 is a great camera, it just takes a while playing with the settings at first to learn how to get the image that you are looking for.
Ben Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you all,

Tomorrow I'll go out shoting following your advices.
Hans Sandstrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders