Canon HV 40 Audio Drop...Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 9th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon HV 40 Audio Drop...Help!

Hi...I just bought a Canon HV40....returned the camera twice because of drops!...swapped it out for a new one! On my third and hoping that my adjustments are wrong! If I return this one, they'll think I'm really nuts! Recording a band (Jazz) during rehearsals. Attenuator is on, adjust the volume level so just below -12 db..goes over on occasion! I have 1/2 second drops in audio during various parts of my tape! Coming directly out the main outs of a mixer to the camera mic input! Using condenser mics going to preamp then to mixer inputs! Using Panasonic Pro Quality tapes! I'm going nuts with this...can't seem to figure it out! 1st tape had 1 - 1/2 second audio drop...2nd tape had 7 - 1/2 second drops in audio! Just got off the phone with Canon support...told me to set windscreen to off...but recording in studio with no outside wind?? Is windscreen that sensitive? Will attenutor cause drops in audio if it peaks??Will windscreen cause drops in audio?? I'm helpless here...don't want to return to Canon for repair..camera only a few weeks old! Don't want to clean heads as the cleaning tape suggest not cleaning often....new camera! Shouldn't have to clean heads on new camera! Anybody have any suggestions??? Thanx!
Zeu Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes the consensus is, you should run a cleaner tape through a new machine to clean off any factory gunk and use the same brand as the DV tape you use. Don't ever run at LP speed.

Try running the camera using its own mic for 15mins to prove it's not your rig.

The mixer line out is too much and needs a 50db pad in line before the HV40 mic input. In NY go see B and H they'll sort it out for you ... you lucky devil :)

Cheers.
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Good advice - you have good reason to clean the heads as suggested.

Also, I assume you are recording in an HD mode? If you are, try a test recording in Standard Def DV as a test - dropouts are much less of an issue because the recording technology is more robust. If you are still losing big chunks of audio in SD mode, it is not a tape or dirty head issue.

Lastly, the video normally freezes during an HD dropout - you didn't mention any problems with the video when the audio drops out. It makes me wonder if the problem lies in audio setup. Using the internal mic will confirm whether this is so.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders