DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HFS11 Questions - pink dot when filming sunset; custom dial sensitivity (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/471953-hfs11-questions-pink-dot-when-filming-sunset-custom-dial-sensitivity.html)

Chris Duerr January 30th, 2010 01:52 AM

HFS11 Questions - pink dot when filming sunset; custom dial sensitivity

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an HFS11. I slapped on a Hoya Super HMC UV filter and went to La Jolla during sunset to try it out. I used auto mode and the sunset scene and beach scene presets but each time the clips have a bright pink dot smack in the middle of the sun. Do any of you know what causes that to happen and how I can prevent it? Could the UV filter be the culprit?

Also, I was wondering if there is any way to adjust the sensitivity of the custom dial. I want to use it to manually focus but it seems way too sensitive.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and answers you may have. I'm fairly new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

Chris

Rainer Listing January 30th, 2010 04:10 PM

Hi Chris, it probably would help if you could post an example. The large gap between the filter and the lens on the HFS series is not a helpful feature, so I'm guessing the filter is the problem but it might also be lens flare. Re focus, in bright light in wide on auto with a UV filter, these cameras will focus on the filter rather than the scene, and because you can't see what's on the LED you sometimes can end up with great shots of the inside of your filter. Anyway, the main reason for using a UV filter is lens protection, and the camera already does that, so in normal environments I don't use a filter. I don't think there is any way to adjust focus wheel sensitivity. With practice and using the focus assist, rack focus is possible, but you can get better results using the manual focus in conjunction with the auto: e.g. do your close focus manually, start recording and click over to auto (use normal, not IAF). There were various follow focus accessories for the HV series, but I don't know of any for the HFS. Hope I haven't got off track and said too much you already know.

Rainer Listing January 30th, 2010 05:13 PM

duplicate post and it won't let me delete it

Chris Duerr January 31st, 2010 09:20 PM

Rainer,

Thanks for your quick reply. I uploaded a short clip showing the pink dot:
I was told the UV filter would reduce haze and result in better picture quality. I take it that's not your experience? I will try another sunset without the filter and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips re focus...I have a lot to learn. I guess I'll use the dial for another function. Why do you prefer AF over IAF?