DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   accessory for charging camcorder overseas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/472043-accessory-charging-camcorder-overseas.html)

Mark Yang January 31st, 2010 10:02 PM

accessory for charging camcorder overseas?

We would like to use our JF20 in china, where the power supply is 220. I've read on the canon site that an 'AC adapter kit/compact adapter battery charger can handle converting overseas power supply safely.

Is this a Canon accessory? Have any of you used it overseas, and where can I get it?

Chris Soucy February 1st, 2010 01:23 AM

Hi Mark............

Turn your existing charger over and look at the label on the base.

If it says "100 - 240 V & 50 - 60 Hz" you're good to go, with only a plug adapter to let it plug into the local outlets, they can be had at most travel/ baggage/ duty free stores for peanuts.

If it doesn't, yep, you have a problem, not sure of the solution with the mentioned camera.

Very few electronic gizmo's nowadays can't handle international travel, can't say the same for their owners.

CS

(Er, no offence meant, BTW)

David Clark February 1st, 2010 06:07 PM

We were in Italy this summer and we bought a "converter" from a store. When we got to our room, my wife wanted to plug her makeup mirror in. We plugged it in and heard a SNAP! The converter we bought only changed the physical form of the plug, not the voltage.

After some Googling we discovered what Chris just said, read the back of your unit's plug adapter, most all new electronics can take it. Even so, we were really scared to plug in anything else. But, everything else was fine, the laptop, iphone, etc.

For hair dryers and mirrors, and of course your electronics if you'd like, you will need the actual voltage converter, like this multi-nation version:
Samsonite | Dual Wattage Converter Adapter with Plugs | SA1393GY

Have a great trip!

Mark Yang February 3rd, 2010 07:08 PM

Yes, the charger says 'input 100V - 240V 50/60 Hz 29VA(100V) - 39VA(240V)'. So I guess I'm good to go. Thanks. I guess modern electronics just gets better and better.

Now I just need to bring the bundled canon software with us, install it on a pc over there so I can save the videos from the camcorder, then get an external harddrive so I can store them and bring them home, and maybe some memory chips in case that does not work out......

Graham Hickling February 4th, 2010 03:45 PM

You don't really need the Canon software installed - in a pinch any PC with a USB port can be used: use Windows explorer or Mac finder to drag the files across to the PC, and from there back across to your portable hard drive. Drag the uppermost folder so that you retain the entire directory structure.

Then delete that upper folder on your card - the camera will recreate it - and you will be good to carry on!

EDIT: One thing, each time you do that, create a new folder name on the hard drive to dump the files to - so nothing gets over-written!