USB in Vixia HF20 is broken. How do I get footage off at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 7th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #1
Major Player

USB in Vixia HF20 is broken. How do I get footage off

I just got back from a shoot today and realized that my USB connection is broken inside the camera. It's totally cracked on me. What are my other options to getting the footage off my camera? Can I use the HDMI to USB or do I need a HDMI on my Mac Pro? If I have to use HDMI on my Mac what would you recommend as far as installing an HDMI connection on my Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core?

Damn it. I just bought this camera. Thank goodness I have the warranty.

I don't want to send to best buy until I have the footage off. The geeks wipe the hard drive clean.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Major Player

I found this regarding BlackMagic HDMI capturing cards. Does anyone know what this person is talking about?

"Cons: Having to open my computer up, that's not something I do very often. A USB adapter would be handy but I couldn't find one that cound handle HDMI (and the DVI ones I found were really expensive, even compared to this)."

I also saw that Sony makes a USB to MINI HDMI for the PS3. I wonder if this would work?

or will this work?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=57277565
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Major Player

No, that device goes the wrong way--from the computer to an HDMI monitor. I'm guessing the device you are looking for doesn't exist. USB devices are probably not capable of the data speed that would be required.

If the footage is absolutely not replaceable, I think that Blackmagic device is what you need.
Old February 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Fairly simple...

Page 88 in the manual.

In other words, get yourself a SDHC memory card of the size sufficient to fit the stuff that's on the internal memory, format it, insert it in the camera, then copy all the scenes from internal memory to SDHC card. Take the card out, stick it into a card reader and copy to your computer.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Pedrag, I will give that a try!
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

As opposed to "Black Magic"...

Seems much cheaper (and simpler) than "Black Magic" card, HDMI capture and transcoding, etc...
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Yes that's right, simply transfer files from the built-in memory to the memory card via the HF20 playback menu, then use a card reader to get them into the computer.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders