Newbie to video and HF cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 25th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Newbie to video and HF cameras

I'm stepping from still photography into the world of video. I've been playing around on the web to find all the info that I can. I have a question about the HF line of cameras and Final Cut Pro. The Final Cut Pro website doesn't show that these cameras are compatible. From what I've gathered it's because they record in AVCHD. What does one need to do to make the files usable in FCP?
Andy Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

AVCHD in FCP

Apple's standard procedure is transcoding into ProRes (or AIC in FCE) and editing those files.

You could also use Cineform's NeoScene to transcode into the Cineform codec (similar to ProRes). This allows you to remove pulldown from Canon's 24p AVCHD, if you want to edit the 24p stuff natively.

The easiest way is Apple's way. All is built in and works without issues.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predrag Vasic View Post
Apple's standard procedure is transcoding into ProRes (or AIC in FCE) and editing those files.

You could also use Cineform's NeoScene to transcode into the Cineform codec (similar to ProRes). This allows you to remove pulldown from Canon's 24p AVCHD, if you want to edit the 24p stuff natively.

The easiest way is Apple's way. All is built in and works without issues.
So it's a simple transfer process and FCP just converts it automatically?
Is there anything that you would need to change in the settings of FCP before editing?
Andy Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

No major issues

The way it works is this. You connect your camera (or a card reader) to your Mac. You go to 'Log and Transfer' menu. It will see your camcorder (or the card) and you can choose the clips to import. Depending on the speed of your Mac, the transfer may take longer or shorter, since it is converting AVCHD into another codec (ProRes, or something else of your choice). The resulting files will be in full 1920x1080 resolution, at the same framerate as the original source (60i is the usual). You can comfortably edit the resulting files, apply effects, transitions, etc. Any normal reasonably recent Mac should handle them without major issues.

The result can then be down-sampled for DVD output to DVD Studio Pro, or exported into some other QuickTime format (MPEG-4, MPEG-2, AVCHD, whatever), in full HD, or down-sampled to 720p, or whatever.

To create Blu-ray discs, you'll need Adobe's Encore (or Roxio Toast Titanium). Both can create full Blu-ray discs (30-60GB), or encode using AVCHD and allow you to burn HD on ordinary DVD-R discs for full HD playback in a standard Blu-ray player. That way, you don't need a blu-ray burner and Blu-ray recordable discs, and can still produce Blu-ray compatible discs in HD. You can only comfortably fit about 60 minutes of 1920x1080 HD content on a standard dual-layer DVD-R, though.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the input!
Andy Lai is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders