canon hv40 or sony hc1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 16th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

canon hv40 or sony hc1?

hands down which is the better buy? regardless what i use it for.
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Got both, go for the Canon. The Sony is built like a tank compared to the Canon, but the HV40, is in my opinion capable of delivering much better images
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Well i have owned a HC1 among ather cams, the HV30 I now own is better in most respects especialy PQ,the sony was more solid but despite that it did not prove to have great reliability for me .
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't be so sure on the solidity of the Sonys, my HC7 had it's dial selector break and the camera didn't work correctly until it was repaired.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Major Player

This is what i said ,despte fealing a solid machine my HC-1 proved unreliable.
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Major Player

My Sony died in less than a year. Another one had condensation problems. I own a HV40. Even though I work outdoors in the rain, and unlike others, I have never had a condensation problem with the HV40. Nearly a year ago I dropped my 40 twice from a distance of 3-4 feet off the ground onto a solid beach rock. Both times I scratched and slightly chipped the housing. The camera continues to operate perfectly. I would like to see any Sony survive that kind of drop.

I am currently uploading 100's of video clips that I have taken with my HV40 to sitkaalaskavideo.blogspot.com. I'll match the HDV quality of any other HDV camcorder to the HV40 any day.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm maybe the only voice for the HC1 but I would go for it. I have it and the hv20 which is 99% the same as the hv40.

HC1:

+ better handling with a monopod
+ focus and exposure adjustments way better than the hv20
+ integrated microphone is worlds apart from the hv20
+ construction feels more solid
- low light is piss poor (I use the hv20 when in lowlight)
- no 25p
- picture quality not as good
- proprietary sony shoe
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Major Player

The metal parts on the Sony's cause problems with condensation. Taking the Sony out in 40 degree weather, and then bringing it back indoors, causes severe condensation problems. I know, I owed one once.

The Canon HV40 is amazing. No condensation problems, and I have dropped mine twice onto cement! Both times the drop caused chipping! The Canon is still working.

In rough and extreme environments the Sony's just don't hold up.

Compare warranty issues between Canon and Sony owners.....
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Major Player

I haven't used the Sony, but I have an HV40 (actually 3 of them) with which I just completed a 40 minute documentary. After many years shooting super16 film, I'm picky when it comes to cameras, and find myself raving about this little "toy". I modified one camera with a custom grip for handholding with a 3x3 matte box, and I take it everywhere.

As for audio, Canon makes a really nice shotgun mike that mounts on the hot shoe.. it's $150 and worth every penny.. All of the audio on this recent project was recorded with that mike. Compact, no external cables, powered by the camera and comparable to my $1,000 Sennheiser 416 (don't argue with me about this, I've tested it).

As for HDV. I am amazed by it too. I have a Panasonic HPX500 as my A camera, with which I shoot DVCPRO HD, and have intercut footage on several projects - not seamless, but close enough that no one has noticed. DVCPRO creates files that are about 1gb a minute, HDV files are smaller than mini-DV - go figure.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes i agree with you steve and find the pq and overall colour from my HV as good as i can expect and have had several on line talks regarding the new panasonic TM300, i agree this machine with its 60/50P recording has more sharpness/resolution but for overal colour i still prefer my HV.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Major Player

And one thing I didn't mention is the convenience of using the small tapes.. I love the Panasonic's P2 cards and have adapted to tapeless workflow for most of my shoots, but for quick and dirty, and uncomplicated airline travel, not having to take a computer and drives to offload daily is a big plus.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
I am currently uploading 100's of video clips that I have taken with my HV40 to sitkaalaskavideo.blogspot.com.
I went to the vimeo site to watch rushing waters and I just watched a black screen play?
Douglas Call is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders