HF-S10 File transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 24th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #1
Major Player

HF-S10 File transfer

I cannot seem to get files from the camera to the PC (Win XP SP3, 2.1 core 2 duo,) anymore. I used to be able to go into explorer & simply look at the camera as another, drive but now it just does not appear, yet all the other 4 hard drives are there & work OK. A little while ago it did manage to show the two camera drives after numerous re-plugging, turning on & off & switching but even then, it showed no files, - just empty drives.
The cable checks OK & the camera itself recognises that I am plugged in.
I even tried going via the useles and complicated Pixela software that Canon supplies but it was useless as well. - (Why don't Canon supply something decent & simple ?)

This is most frustrating when you are trying to simply get things done. I have waisted over an hour on this & got nowhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Just checking, but when you connect the camera and power it up, you do look at the LCD screen and choose PC etc?
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Robin, - of course. I have even tried both canceling thumbnails and also letting them run.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #4
Major Player

At Last - Problem solved

After spending the last two days downloading updates, some of which require many hoops to jump through, and leaving it just sitting, after half an hour the files suddenly displayed. (I was working on an adjacent PC at the time), so I tried to simply move them across, but no, a popup stated can't find file! Yet they were there and showed the size & .mts extension ! - Most weird.

So with more frustration & to no avail, I was about to remove the internal Aux drive and fit it two another PC just in case, but I just decided to plug the camera lead in to another USB port on the back and hey presto, she woiked !!

Now, surely, as the front port works perfectly on other devices, printers etc., surely a warning by Canon could have been put in place advising us poor suckers that obviously all working USB ports are not equal.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders