Firewire frustration... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 28th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Trustee

Firewire frustration...

Hi to all,
Posted this in the Vegas forum, it was suggested I try here.....
please, anyone, help me stop going grey.
64bit Win 7 Firewire wont work, in Vegas, Blackmagic, Cineform, Nero, all dead. I can control the HV20- start stop fast forward etc, but it captures nothing ( black screen in Vegas, device error in Cineform).
Have updated drivers, tried outdated Legacy drivers, to no avail.
Have searched Google and came up with zip. My "google fu" is apparently weak.
The most frustrating thing is it works fine on the XP boot. Im just sick of rebooting to capture stuff.

If there was an icon with a man begging for help, it would go here.
:)
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Did you try capturing with HDVsplit? (free capture utility) I do all of my HDV capturing with it.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Gerald...........

If Jeremiah's suggestion doesn't work (it would have been my first suggestion as well - it seems to be completely bomb proof from anecdotal accounts) you may need to do a bit of lateral thinking untill someone finds out what ails Win 7, as it appears to be the culprit.

Do you have permanent access to another XP machine?

Broadband and thus a (multi port) router?

My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be to set up a two system network so that you can capture on the XP machine and write it to a network drive for access from the W7 machine.

Either that or two completely seperate machines and swap an external hard drive between them.

Both options a complete PITA but if it saves rebooting...............

CS

PS:

Whereabouts on the Central Coast? I've got a soft spot for Coffs Harbour.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Major Player

I use Vegas for all my HDV editing. I have a Canon XH-A1. I have found that if I have a DV tape in my XH-A1 and I play a few seconds of the tape (so that the display reads DV16:9 instead of HDV) then I turn the camera off and on again, then VIsta and Windows 7 will pop up with the "autoplay" menu and I can capture DV with full preview with Vegas, PPro, or whatever.

When there is an HDV tape in the camera, and I turn on the camera. I get the "chime" that there is a device connected, but there is no Autoplay menu that pops up. So the thing that is different is the HDV. For some reason the HDV doesn't mix well the firewire drivers in Vista/Windows 7.

On a clean install of 64bit Vista on my laptop, and Vegas 8.1 (the 64bit version) I was able to get vista to capture HDV, but with no preview.

On my main editing machine though, I still have to capture everything with HDVsplit.

One more thing, if you have a Blackmagic card, why wouldn't you capture video using Cineform from the HDMI port on your HV20? I have heard that you get better quality video that way.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Trustee

Found this info in a recent dv info post from Chris Davis, maybe it will help:

"Since Windows 7 will be available in stores this week, I'm sure others will have this problem, so I thought I'd post the solution that worked for me and many others.

The problem is that Windows 7 apparently installs the wrong driver upon detecting a firewire port. Step-by-step, here is the solution:

1. Go to Device Manager and click on IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
2. Click on the device listed underneath this heading. In my case it was Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
3. Right click this device and select 'update driver software' from the shortcut menu
4. Then select the option 'browse my computer for driver software'
5. Then select the option 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
6. This then gave me three drivers to pick from (make sure the 'show compatible hardware' checkbox is ticked)
7. Select the driver named '1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)'
8. Install driver

No reboot is necessary, capturing via firewire should now work. "
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry bout being late getting back.....
Jeremiah ,
yes, tried HDV split, same as Vegas, no joy there.

Chris,
Ive just resigned myself to always having my XP partition, there's always things I need it for... eg. a while back I needed to flash my bios to get my 12gb of ram going, could not do it via Win 7, Had MSI on the phone and even they were stumped, as a last ditch effort I tried it while I was in XP one day, it just worked, first time, no hick ups, done. Ive had numerous things that just wont work on my 64 bit Win 7 that just fall into place in XP.
Coffs is more North coast of NSW, we went there on holi's once, the whole family said it was like having takeaway every meal at home, its pretty much the same as home, just 5 hours away, twas nice though.

Battle,
yeah tried that too, no go either. Win 7 hates me :(

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders