Canon HF-S200 Exposure Control Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon HF-S200 Exposure Control Question

The HF-S200 doesn't have a gain control as such, but it looks like you can adjust gain in half-step increments from 0 to 3 using the exposure control.

Does anyone have any idea how many decibels of gain each step corresponds to, assuming that '0' on the exposure dial = 0dB?
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Canon HF-S200 exposure control

Hi Steve:
Are you sure the S200 does not have Gain Control?????

Last time I looked it has Gain control in addition to Exposure control thru the Custom Key or the knob controller next to the lens.

Check it out under other features at the Canon site.
I have the S21 and it works the same.

Luis

Last edited by Luis A. Diaz; May 5th, 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: question mark
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip, Luis, I found the gain control. I didn't even have to look at the manual or check the Canon site to find it.

What I found interesting about the gain control is that it doesn't work in Cine mode - but that makes perfect sense, considering that Cine is supposed to be a flat-shooting mode. But at least I know now that if I need the gain control, it's available to me in another recording mode, and I can always colour-grade the resulting footage for a more 'cinema-like' look.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #4
New Boot

'absolute' manuel exposure ?

I have a somewhat related question:

With my current HF-11, 'manual exposure' means moving an onscreen slider to over- or underexpose, using a scale relative to the current (auto) exposure.
Reading the user manual for the HF-S21/200 series ("The adjustment range may vary depending on the initial brightness of the image, and some values may be grayed out."), I understand it works the same way with these units, making it impossible to set an "absolute" manual exposure (i.e. independently of the current lighting conditions) . Is this correct ?

IOW, is there a way to somehow "memorize" a specific exposure, so that it will survive a power off, and/or can be restored when the lighting conditions have changed ?

I often record theatre shows with multiple camcorders, and my HF-11 runs as a unattended cam; I can set the exposure to manual during rehearsals, but when the real show is about to start, the stage is in a deep shadow, yet I need to set the manual exposure to the value I had during the rehearsal....

"Spotlight" mode auto-exposure does not work well for me, and is therefore not a good workaround.

Any suggestions ?
Benoit Matthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #5
New Boot

Help, anyone ?
Benoit Matthys is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders