HF20 to XH A1 transfer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
New Boot

HF20 to XH A1 transfer?

Greetings! Is it possible, via the right patch cable(s), to make a video transfer directly from an HF20 to an XH A1? Or do I need to dump it into Final Cut Pro, then output back to the XH A1?

Thank you!
Jeff Johnston
Jeff Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff..............

From what I can see of the spec's, no.

It's an AVC/ 264 codec and has no Firewire, which pretty well kyboshes the direct link idea.

It does have Component OUT, tho', as the XH A1 doesn't have component IN, you're stuffed there as well.

Off the top of my head, I can't see any way but to dump it to your NLE and take it from there.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Jeff,

Why exactly are you trying to do this? My gut is saying, there must be a better to do whatever it is you're trying do. Transferring your video from one highly compressed format to another (for playback/capture?!?) just sounds crazy.

You may have a very good reason to do what you're asking, so I'm just wondering.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #4
New Boot

Michael:

A very good question. In this case, I don't have much choice as far as using the material is concerned.

I'm working on a show segment about an archaeological project. Most of the segment was shot on my camera, a Canon XH A1.

The HF20 footage came from a scuba diver with an underwater housing. The use of this material isn't a deal-breaker but some of it would be good to include.

I believe the option of inputting to my FCP system, then going back out, is the best option, as Chris suggested.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jeff
Jeff Johnston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders