HF-S200 video files on Mac, what to do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 14th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Major Player

HF-S200 video files on Mac, what to do?

First of all, please excuse me for not finding my answers via searching. I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but I've been dealing with this all day. I'm out of time and need to go to bed.

I'm a photographer primarily who has been shooting SD video up until the last few months. I knew HD would be a pain, so I've been putting it off for years.

Anyhow, I've got into HD video by shooting with my 7D and Flip UltraHD video cameras. The 7D's video is spectacular. The Flip's is pretty good for what it is.

I'm not a newb to video, just HD. I've got Vegas on my PC, but I'm trying to move away from the PC, so this needs to work on my Mac.

Other than the amazing quality of my 7D's video, I like the fact that Aperture and iPhoto recognizes the video files and let's me organize the clips along with my photos. I can double click them and play them and pull them into iMovie if I want.

The Vixia, OTOH, has been a pain so far. The video files themselves will not play properly in my media players, which I guess is because of the compressed format. iPhoto and Aperture do not recognize these files.

I was recording in 24PF, to match my 7D footage. Well, since iMovie doesn't support 24P and it needs to convert the footage on import, I guess this kind of defeats the purpose.

So, I figured I'd do the in-camera conversion to SD so I could have those files in Aperture and just archive the HD footage for future editing use whenever I get FCP. Even the SD files that the Vixia creates are not recognized by iPhoto, Aperture, or Quicktime player. I can play them in the VLC player though.

I guess if I had Final Cut Pro, I probably wouldn't be having these problems, or maybe I would. I don't know.

So, I'm thinking the HF S200 might not be for me. It shoots nice footage, but the files it creates are such a hassle, I'm thinking I'd rather whip out the 7D than deal with this mess.

Anything I'm missing? Advice?
Tony Hall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders