HV40 + lens adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 31st, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV40 + lens adapter

Does anyone have experience using the Canon HV40 with the Letus mini adapter? I was thinking of buying these two as opposed to buying the Letus Extreme for my Canon GL2.

What would be the better option?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Lee:

Not sure what kind of money you are thinking of spending, but you might want to consider a third option.

I have shot the HV20 with an adapter, letus without flip, and flip. You can get nice results. But if you are spending for new.... I think you will be better served with going with a DSLR like the Canon T2i for $899. Its just so much better in terms of imagry and more user friendly to boot.
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I already own the Canon T1i, how does the video compare to the T2i?

I want to get an HD camera to work on school projects. The effect/technique that I want to achieve is a close up of a subject with the background completely blurred out i guess a really shallow depth of field, like what you see on TV shows. I own a Canon GL2 and have found its near impossible to do with human subjects.

examples i found on google search
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4...ofportrait.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2...vu14756984.jpg

This is more of a question of what equipment would be better to achieve this technique, a Canon HV40 or a DSLR?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As I recall, the T1i was a bit crippled in the video arena. The T2i has the same sensor and frame rates as the Canon 7d.

To get that kind of depth of field, you need to be shooting with a lens with a pretty low fstop-- F1.4 or less. The Canon 5D with its larger sensor will get you that effect easier too, because of its large sensor. But if you get your T1i out and go to the telephoto end of you zoom lens, set at as low an aperature as you can, and get close to your subject, focus well on the subject, you will see similar backgrounds....

That second picture in you examples may be a simple green screen or backdrop shot-- doesn't seem real to me... but I could be wrong...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders