HV 30 with Senn Evolution G3 100 series at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV 30 with Senn Evolution G3 100 series

I'm getting ready to film a short documentary. I have an HV30, and I want to use wireless lavs to keep up with my subject as we move around through the mountains, as well as in buildings. I previously used an Azden wireless lav set up that was very unreliable (it was a cheaper model), so I'm now set on investing in a more reliable system. For times when I have someone to handle sound for me, I also have a Sennheiser K6 shotgun and boom on loan, but I won't always have that option, so I'm considering a Rode Videomic as a backup. I have a few questions and I'd be grateful for any feedback or thoughts people have.

1. I've rigged a stereo mini - XLR cable on my camera for the K6. Does anyone have experience doing the mini - XLR adapter with an HV30? Are there any problems I should be aware of?
2. How does the Sennheiser G3 perform, and is the lav mic it comes with sufficient? I've read a few reviews that complain of the quality of the Sennheiser mic for G2 series, but I'm not sure if that goes for the G3 as well.
3. How does the G3 lav mic perform outdoors, with light breezes?
4. How is battery life for the G3? I'll have limited electricity and will have to pack all my batteries with me for the few months I'll be in the mountains.
5. I'm look at getting a Rode Videomic for group scenarios, and if I don't have access to the K6. Anyone have feelings about the Rode Videomic?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions.
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Aya
I will give my take on the G2 Junk. If the G3 is any thing like the G2 I would not buy it. I can be 4 feet away and get interference. I have two of these Sony - UWP-V1 Wireless Lavalier Microphone Package - UWP-V1/3032 and never had any problems. The mic sounds better to.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Major Player

I on the other hand rather like the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/649983-REG/Sennheiser_EW112PG3_G_EW112_p_G3_Camera_Mount.html. I've been using one for several months now with a Canon HF200. No problems other than the usual -- occasional interference from cell phones. A bad cell phone can interfere with any wireless system however. It's not just Senn. from what I can tell.

I'm a complete newbie at video so I'm not ready to post any links to any of my stuff on this forum -- the humiliation would be too much to bear. However if you want I can PM you a URL to a video I shot using a G3 in heavy winds. Audio quality is surprisingly good I think. Mic. placement has a lot to do with performance in wind of course -- like everything, optimal performance takes work.

Last edited by Bruce Watson; June 23rd, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely check out that Sony. Dan, have you ever used it outdoors with subjects moving around/doing activities?

Also, does anyone have experience with Rode Videomics?
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Major Player

I like the G2 and use it frequently with an HV30...

1. I've used XLR-mini adapters before without problems.
2. The stock Senn mic is OK... not spectacular but works fine. Pairs up well with an HV30. I don't understand the interference issues others are claiming... I work a lot in hospitals, airports, and other high-radio-traffic areas, and all you have to do is scan for open frequencies (via the receiver) and a clear channel most always comes up.

And of course, learn how to properly set your mic sensitivity, AF out, and camera mic levels.

3. How does the G3 lav mic perform outdoors, with light breezes? - OK, but in the mountains your breezes won't be too light. Buy an additional windscreen.
4. I can run a G2 unit for about 8-10 hours on a pair of generic AA's.
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Major Player

[QUOTE=Aya Okawa;1541668]Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely check out that Sony. Dan, have you ever used it outdoors with subjects moving around/doing activities?

Yes all the time with outdoor weddings. I do use a dead cat on them though.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/385181-REG/Remote_Audio_MCAT_B_Micro_Cat_Lavaliere_Windscreen.html

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
I don't understand the interference issues others are claiming... I work a lot in hospitals, airports, and other high-radio-traffic areas, and all you have to do is scan for open frequencies (via the receiver) and a clear channel most always comes up.
Yup. Except that cell phones have hugely variable quality. A crappy cell phone spews RF like it's going out of style. It's not enough to just get people to quit yackin' on 'em either -- gotta turn them off because they regularly send packets to the nearest tower even when not in use.

This thread from earlier might be interesting, IDK.

Where I live we've got a fair amount of cell phone design and manufacturing. Some of my old engineering buddies who now design cell phones confirmed that this can be a problem. The cheap cell phones effect the good ones too, so they have to design their tails off to reject the spurious crap.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Major Player

I just bought a G3 from B&H a couple weeks ago and used it at a wedding last weekend.

I like it pretty good. No interference issues (make sure and use the Sennheiser freq finder on their website and set up your gear in a "vacant" band and you shouldn't have any issues, other than the aforementioned cellphones).

My only thing is, I'm using it with a GL1 and XLR-Pro box, and it is a little hard to actually gage the volume with no audio meters. Turns out, I had the output too low and the volume was a little low, but nothing that couldn't be bumped up in the timeline in premiere.

Overall, I think it's a good system so far. (Coming from a Samson UM32)
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

on the cusp

Hi guys, im on the cusp of buyinga g3 for work so i need to get it right and not buy the wrong mic.

my question is, do i need to buy the small rectangular adaptor that comes with the kit in this pic...SENNHEISER EW 100 ENG G3 / C-BAND - Irish International Cyberstore

I have a canon xm2 that its going to be used with.

or can i buy the kit without this adaptor, heres the pic...SENNHEISER EW 112-P G3 / C-BAND - Irish International Cyberstore.

Also, whats the difference between c band and d or e band options?

Thanks,

Brian.
Brian Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Trustee

I'll try to help with the first bit. The "rectangular adaptor" is the SKP 100 plug on transmitter according to the link you gave. It adds quite a lot to the price of the kit and it only does dynamic mics - in other words it doesn't have phantom power. On the other hand it's usually cheaper to buy it with the set than to buy it separately later if you do find you need to use a wireless handheld dynamic mic.

If you needed phantom power with the plug on there's a very similar looking plug on transmitter for that - the SKP 2000 I believe SENNHEISER SKP 2000 - Irish International Cyberstore - but that's very expensive.

Are you likely to be wanting to use other mics with your G3 system? If not, save yourself some cash.

Unless you are absolutely certain you will need phantom power I certainly wouldn't get the SKP 2000. You can buy a heck of a long cable for a condenser mic for €584.

I would recommend you get a better lav mic for your G3 set instead. The Sennheiser MKE2-EW Gold is a great improvement over the supplied lav.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

sweet! so what you are saying is that i only need this adaptor to fit it onto a handheld mic? i only want to use this kit as a lav mic. Thank you so much,...I have asked this question a few times, a simple question you might think, and not received a straightforward answer, so thank you. Since this mic kit is for work, not personal,, the fact that I can go for the 500 euro kit as opposed to the 750 euro kit makes a big diference in trying to sell the idea to them

So just to make sure: the receiver fits to the hotshoe on the camcorder and has a mini-jack into the mic input on the camera? My rode videomic fits straight to hotshoe but i have read up so much about needing the ma300 adaptor from canon to fit other mics to the camera.......

You recommended the better lav mic, Is there anything else you would recommend? My work is mostly interviews, and outdoor. i have a canon xm2 camcorder and a rode videomic at the moment. I want to get more professional audio which is why im looking into wireless mics like this sennheiser. I gather this senn. is as entry level.as it gets?
Brian Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Major Player

I, too, use a G2 system lav setup -- two of them, in fact. I have never had any interference at all -- even from as far away as 50m in a variety of situations. I have since upgraded my mic to a Countryman B3 which sounds quite good, though I thought the Sennheiser mic sounded fine.

I have a couple of the SKP100 adapters, but they are rarely used. They work best for me when I am wearing a lav wired into the camera's XLR input and I am interviewing an athlete who is holding a Sennheiser MD46 with the SKP100 attached to the bottom. (The reciever is wired into the other XLR input. Both are mixed to mono in post.) This allows me to work the camera and interview athletes at the event. (athletics/track & field)

In fact, I've got a C-band GS lav system that I need to sell, if you (or anyone else) is interested. Works fine, just no longer legal in the U.S. I was saving it for some international work, but it looks like that may be 6 months to a year away.

Also, I assume the G3 system has both an XLR output and a mini-plug output cable. (My G2 systems have those.) If not, getting a replacement cable that has a mini-plug output is easy. I bought a couple of extras to keep around as backups.

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders