How do I set Continueous File numbers of HF200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 6th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Major Player

How do I set Continueous File numbers of HF200

Is there a way to set the file numbers on my HF200? Everytime i change SD cards it starts over with the ame file number. Just did a project with 4 different cards and they all have the same file numbers...ie 0000.mts

Thanks...
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
Is there a way to set the file numbers on my HF200? Everytime i change SD cards it starts over with the ame file number. Just did a project with 4 different cards and they all have the same file numbers...ie 0000.mts

Thanks...
This bugs me, too. I wish they'd just make the filename to be based on a timestamp, ie: 20100921043301.mts .

As it is, however, you just have to be careful to copy the entire directory structure for each card, and give them their own folders in the project directory, ie: scene1camera1, scene1camera2, etc.
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Separating the MTS files from the larger file structure is not a good idea and can hinder your ability to collaborate across platforms and workstations. Some NLEs rely on the information contained in the other folders in order to properly import, sequence, and utilize the video.

I use Canon Vixia HF100s that record to SD cards. After a gig, I import the sole folder on each SD card ("Private") and once it's on the hard-drive / scratch disk, I rename it so I'll always recognize it. e.g. "Orchestra Festival 2010 Day One A"

If you are working in Premiere, I recommend using "Import Folder" instead of the individual .MTS files. This is because if you are working with multiple cameras, it can be confusing seeing a bunch of 00000.mts, 00001.mts, etc in the Asset List. Additionally, there is the possibility that the clips in the timeline can become associated with the wrong file. Importing the whole folder should prevent this. It will ignore all the non-video files.

Good luck. Hopefully Canon will take note and remedy the naming convention.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders