Audio-Input quality on VIXIA cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio-Input quality on VIXIA cams

I was just given a Canon HF S200 as a gift and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on using the cameras audio input jack with a boom mic. Hows the sound quality?

Obviously I'm not expecting it to match the quality of cameras with XLR inputs, but would you consider it passable for basic production audio?
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

All I can tell you is IMO, with with my Rode videomic connected, the audio is just as good as with my XHA1. I would guess with a better mic, all the more.
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thats good to know :)

I currently have a 7D rig set up, but HDSLRs arent too friendly to 1-man-crew type run and gun stuff, and frankly, syncing audio can really be a pain (not always worth the time for a little weekend project). I was hoping that this little handicam (which the picture REALLY impresses me) could fill that little void.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Rick, I just sold th A1 last month and bought a similar kit - T2i and HVs200. I know what you mean about HDSLR pains. With a good mic I think the S200 is very capable, having manual level set and attenuation setting. Right now I'm thinking between buying a lav mic or a Zoom H1.

Late week I did a little playing around. I took the camera out at night to record the back yard sounds...crickets,frogs, breeze blowing, leaves rustling... With the internal mic and auto level, it was good, but with some hiss. External Azden shotgun (very cheaply priced) and manual gain @ 80% was really nice.

The Hoodman loupe I bought for the T2i also works great on the S200 for bright sunlight viewing.

Tom
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Trustee

I agree, the HF11 I have has no problems with the audio input and manual control, as long as you are feeding it a proper mic-level signal.
I use a variety of mics and interface methods and devices. One important point is to use a good quality source for phantom power if your mic or mics require that.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Rick, I use my hfs200 with a little Azden shotgun mic and I have no complaints.
Ian VanCattenburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Where would you recommend getting a mini shoe adapter for this camera?
Gan Eden is offline   Reply With Quote

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders