manual focus and zooming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

manual focus and zooming

I use Canon Vixia HF200, and I straggle with manual focus adjustment. It's possible to do it using the joystick, but very difficult, because it can't be done in small increments.

I'm wondering if it would be practical/possible to set the zoom to telephoto, adjust the focus, and then zoom it out as required.
The question is, is the focusing preserved while zooming? Anybody has tested it?
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Trustee

The method you describe is the only way to maintain focus and is an industry standard.
Zoom in ALL the way, set focus and zoom out to your required frame. If you only half zoomed in and set the focus, it would not be maintained at any other zoom setting...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks, are you saying HF200 complies with this industry standard?
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #4
Trustee

I meant an industry standard way of working - and, yes, your camera will hold focus on what you choose to focus on, as long as you zoom all the way in to do it and then zoom out to the selected size...
What is sometimes better to do is to use the auto focus function when you're zoomed it, allow it to focus and then switch to manual. It will then hold on that setting after having zoomed back.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks. I guess I could test it myself just for fun, but it's not easy to do it in a convincing way. I could probably zoom on a fence positioned at 45 deg angle to the lens axis, and then unzoom and see if the focus is preserved.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders