VIXIA HF 200 Shutter Cover broken at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #1
New Boot

VIXIA HF 200 Shutter Cover broken

So i brought my camcorder to the beach, BAD IDEA! Maybe got a tiny tiny bit of sand around the shutter cover and now it's broken! Have it holding open with two pieces of tuck tape so i can at least use it. Wondering if the Canon Centre in IRVINE will charge me for the fix as it's under warranty. Anyone dealt with this before or fixed it? Let me know! Looking forward to being part of this forum! Thanks guys!

I mainly use this camcorder for yoga vlogging. Check out my latest practice; YouTube - Prasara Tacfit Yoga Flow
Mark Gerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #2
New Boot

can i put one of those uv filters over it and forget it? better yet, any ideas on making one? right now im using a micro fibre cloth with one of those elastic bracelets that say "meningitis awareness"
Mark Gerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If its just the cover thats broken, and your camera still works fine otherwise, YES, a UV filter will work for this (58mm if memory serves on my HF S200)

With me, as soon as I get a camera or lens, boom. There's a UV filter on it the second it comes out of the box, and it stays on. I think a lot of people on this forum will tell you that their practice is pretty similar. Better to break or smudge a filter than to damage a lens, any day.

This is actually what I like about the high end vixias. Not many consumer level cameras enable you to screw on standard filters.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM   #4
New Boot

Mark i saw the vid...Nice, what are you using for editing, i have a VIXIA HFS 20 and i use IMOVIE on my mac and i was just wondering what software you are using? Where can i get that kind of music? i LOVE IT..Sorry about your cam, i am a firm believer in putting some type of filter on the front just to be safe...lots of luck with the fix.
Ivan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #5
New Boot

Hey Ivan, thanks, im using hf200. I just found a wicked torrent called Karsh Kale Torrent by googling it. 4 cds. How much is one of those uv filters? do you have a link to one that would work with the hf200?

thanks for your reply, i was starting to think nobody would!
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

One of my Vixias had been having trouble with the shutter cover. Generally speaking, it would stop half-way, and then you'd have to give it an extra nudge to get it all the way open or all the way closed.

I bought this unit used, and it looked like it had been lit on fire and kicked down the street. Additionally, it had clearly been brought to the beach. There was sand inside the LCD arm assembly (causing the screen to short) and also in the lens area, which was causing the problem with the cover.

There is a PDF in this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vi...ken-ideas.html) that shows the Vixia open for cleaning out the screen area.

Good luck with yours.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #7
New Boot

Mark here is the link for the UV filter, i bought the kit which is here:

Hoya 58mm Introductory Filter Kit GIK58GB B&H Photo Video

But i am sure if you only wanted one filter it is slightly less, to be honest for the 55.00 USD for three is worth it, either way good luck and thanks for the link.
Ivan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #8
New Boot

cool, i wonder if i could just make one...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders