Compatible mics and a software question for hf10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #1
New Boot

Compatible mics and a software question for hf10

I have been using my hf10 for shooting snowboarding videos for about a year now. I've been fairly happy with it, but the audio sucks, especially because of the wind while boarding. so i am wondering what a good cheap mic i could buy for it would be. i'm mostly confused as to which ones will even work with it. would either of these work?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/444022-REG/Azden_SMX_10.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664439-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR6250_ATR6250_Stereo_Condenser_Video_Recording.html(i realize they are cheap, im only 17 and dont have $150 to throw in for a good mic)

also, i only have imovie 09 (which probably makes most of you cringe because of how horrible it is) and the quality just doesnt seem that great and im wondering if thats because im using i movie or would it just be the camera? the quality seems great on the lcd, but that could be just because its such a small screen. so can this crappy software make the quality look worse? it also seems to make slow motion very choppy. so i guess that brings up another question, what are the best on camera settings for the best slow motion? since im filming snowboarding that is very important. sorry for the bombardment of questions! thanks.
Peter Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #2
New Boot

Ok here is my take, i also use IMOVIE 09 although i have access to FC i am lazy and just use IMOVIE because i know it better than FC, and no the software wont really make it sound any worse, problem is and i would not call it a problem, its just that you really need a Mic to get much better quality sound, as far as the slow motion, you should be shooting in PROGRAM mode SHUTTER Priority at around 1/250 or higher, recording at this speed will then give you great results when slowing things down in IMOVIE, even the sounds slow down to like a slow roar if someone is yelling or something its pretty cool. Since you are shooting outdoors i take it you will be able to shoot at the 1/250 or higher like 1/500. In IMOVIE just go to clip adjustments and slide the speed to the left and check it out, it sounds great when slowed to like 40% and some one is yelling, good luck...One last tip since you are shooting in snow you should try and get a Polarizing filter, this will help a ton to get the colors to pop a little and control the blown out whites.
Ivan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #3
New Boot

By the way i use that same MIC you are looking at for 65.00 bucks...that is an Excellent choice for your budget and works great.
Ivan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the advice. are both of those mics compatible though?
Peter Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Trustee

Yes they are both compatible. They have their own internal battery power supply, which is required since the HF series camera mic jack can't supply any power like it can on some brands of small cameras.
You would really need to add a small furry windscreen though to get a reduction in wind noise. The foam covers aren't sufficient for real wind or the airflow from snowboarding.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders