Vixia HF S20: looking for raw test video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 9th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vixia HF S20: looking for raw test video

Hi,

I am close to buying a small HD camera and I would like to see how the video imports into the computer and NLE software. I would be happy for 3-10 seconds of ANYTHING. I want the video exactly the way it transfers from the camera...ie. mts file. Can anyone help me out?

It is between the Canon and the Panasonic HDC-TM700.

Thanks, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Tourist

Jon,
I sent you an email, I just wasn't thinking about the size of these files. The smallest I have now on my PC is around 100 mb! I'll try to shoot a little clip a few seconds long and see how big it is.
Bran Midkiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Trustee

I would wait till CES, but if you want it now I'd go with TM700,
I'll email you link with original footage from both
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Vixia HF S20: looking for raw test video

I'm not sure if you got the test video but if you didn't, I can get a small clip for you later this evening. Also, I don't necessarily agree that you want to wait for the 2011 CES. While you might get a slighly better or comparable canon at best in the next year, the price will be substantially higher for the newer equipment. If money is no object, wait. If cost is a concern I would get something now or right before the new models come out. By the way, I would not go with the TM700 if you do a lot of shooting in low light if the low light on the TM700 is the same as it was on the model before it. The HF S20 is probably better in low light but I do like the Leica lens!
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Covington View Post
low light on the TM700 is the same as it was on the model before it. The HF S20 is probably better in low light but I do like the Leica lens!
no it's not,
the model before it was TM300, and at that time HF S10 and later 11 was much better choice, but there is a huge improvement in compression data rate and low light capabilities in TM700; hard to tell which one is better in low light, both pretty good and very close, but in day light being 3 chip system Panasonic should give you better colors, and in my opinion it does.TM700 has 28mbs in60p and kinda usable time lapse option, also being less expensive with a little more options i think it makes a better choice,
HF S20/21/200 is a very capable camcorder and can produce stunning footage, but it's iPhonish menu navigation is horrible and as I said Panasonic has a little more to offer;
but of course it's JMHO :)
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I agree. If you set up the comparative data in this review between the TM700 and the HFS21 you will have your answer. Hint, I'm buying the TM700 (actually mainly for it's 1080p50 capability - Even my EX3 won't do that). Just waiting for CES (as it's only in 2 weeks time) to make sure there is nothing new from Canon or Panasonic I'd rather wait for.

Panasonic HDC-TM700 Camcorder Review - Panasonic - Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders