HF-S200 for $675 at B&H at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Major Player

HF-S200 for $675 at B&H

B&H as the HF-S200 on sale until 12/25 for $675 plus free overnight shipping. The HF-S20 is going for $780 as well.
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow! If I had not just spent a fortune on a new editing computer and a new wireless mic package I would be getting the HFS20. I have the HV20 I use as a 3rd camera to my two Sony V1U's and love it. From what I have read I would love the HFS20 even more.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

HF-S200 for $675 at B&H

Wow...that is a good price for the HF S20. I own this camera and love to use it. In fact I own the HV30 and the XHA1s and don't have a problem choosing to use that camcorder over these two depending on the situation. I paid $999 for mine so I am a bit jealous of the advertised price. I guess this means that canon is coming out with something else.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The HF S20 was down to $764 on Amazon when I ordered it on Dec. 14th. So I bought second one!

I used the site camelcamelcamel.com, which is an Amazon price tracking site, and it sent me an e-mail alert when the price dropped to my preset level. I recommend the site -- but there are also several others that do the same job.
Allen White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

$105 for 30GB???

The price difference between S200 and S20 is over $100. What you get for this money is 32GB of memory.

I am struggling to figure out why would anyone prefer to pay $100 for 32GB when the same money would get you 2 Class 6 SDHC cards, 32GB each. In addition to double the capacity, it is easier to simply swap cards when you fill one of them. With built-in memory, you have to stop shooting, hook up your camcorder to your computer, offload the internal memory, wipe it out, then re-start shooting. Or, you have to buy additional cards, defeating the purpose of the built-in memory (and the expense you paid for it).
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Personally, I like the versatility of always having available memory to shoot on. I agree it's a bit much to pay for extra memory, but you're getting internal memory plus two extra slots, which means that you can have much more total usable memory on board an HF S20, so that you don't have to swap the cards out quite as quickly as with an HF S200. Admittedly a small advantage. But I thought it was worth it. Everybody has somewhat different needs.
Allen White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Deal is still on. Just bought one. Thanks.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

any idea on how long the offer will be on for?
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #9
New Boot

Pretty sure the deal goes till the 8th of January.
Ethan Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Major Player

I can't recall what it is right now but it seems like I remember there being some pretty important feature not on the HFS 200 that was on the HFS20 & HFS21 and it wasn't the hard drive.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Viewfinder

There is a difference between HF-S21 and S20 (in addition to the memory size); S21 has a viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen, which other HF-S models don't have.

This is all rather moot at this point, since the new batch of Vixias announced this week looks quite different. There's only ONE HF-S model, a bunch of HF-M models (with quite big sensors and much larger pixel size), more HF-R budget models, and the semi-pro model, HF-G10. It will take some time to figure out what exactly are the differences between various models and model lines.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders