Help with first time transfer/editing HFS10 and iMac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 20th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Tourist

Help with first time transfer/editing HFS10 and iMac

I'm ready to tackle a project that I have been ignoring for several years and need some help. I have dozens of hours of video (vacations and WWII veteran interviews) on SD cards, Mini DV, and old VCR tapes, that has never been transferred or edited. The most critical to me is the content on the hard drive of my HFS10. It is full of interviews with American, British, and French D-Day veterans taken during a trip to Normandy for the 65th Anniversary of the battle. I really fear its loss if I don't do this right.

I'll be upgrading my Core 2 Duo iMac to a Quad Core i7 iMac with 16GB of RAM very soon. Unfortunately, the more I try to educate myself on how to do the transfer and editing, the more confused I become about the process.

I was wondering if someone would be willing to walk me through the process of transferring this video from its source to my iMac (without loss of quality), how to edit and archive it, and how to finalize it for playback on the iMac, Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad. Perhaps there is a great reference book on the topic that someone could recommend?

The only software that I currently have is iMovie and I have never used it. I'm happy to spend some money on hardware and software to do this right, so all suggestions, from budget to extravagant, are welcome. I would greatly appreciate any guidance. Thanks very much.
James Woomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi James,

I, too, do veterans interviews.
You are asking a lot of question which would require a series of separate answers here.

Send me a private email through the link associated with my name in this forum.
I can provide answers to many of your questions.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders