Canon HV20 - LCD screen black at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon HV20 - LCD screen black

When I turn the camera on and open the LCD screen, both the screen and viewfinder are black. When I close the screen, the viewfinder is activated. The LCD screen works fine in playback mode.

Does this mean the LCD screen is malfunctioning, or is there just some button or menu setting that I have set incorrectly?

Thanks,
Tony
Tony Markle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon HV20 - LCD screen black

Sounds like a malfunction to me - I've seen a similar intermittent fault on an HV30. It might be worthwhile rotating the LCD panel about a bit when it goes dark - that works with the faulty HV30.

Are you absolutely sure that the LCD <always> works on playback, and <never> on record? When the ribbon connector starts to fail it's often intermittent, at least at first.

The viewfinder is designed to be disabled when the LCD is opened, and there is no override in the menus as there is in the larger Canons.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for your reply, Colin.

I pushed the Focus Assist button at the bottom of the LCD screen, and that activated it.

Tony
Tony Markle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Glad you got it to work, though I must admit to having no idea why pushing the Focus Assist button would fix it!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders