Canon HF G10 VS. Sony MC50U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Trustee

Canon HF G10 VS. Sony MC50U?

Hey guys, I'm torn between the 2 camcorders and can't seem to find any real advantages of one over another spec-wise........anyone here use both and have any comments?
The biggest difference I can find is that the Canon offers 24F whereas the Sony doesn't...but that's not a real deal breaker for me......I'm just looking for the best possible image quality and these 2 camcorders are very similar price-wise as well as spec-sheet wise........was hoping someone here has used both and had some comments.

Thanks guys~
(I'm generally a Canon fan but this Sony has some equally high praise thrown it's way- so it's worth the consideration....unless you guys think otherwise.)
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon HF G10 VS. Sony MC50U?

Steve, regarding image quality, your primary concern, I cannot speak to, this camera is new to me, I cannot believe how many cameras there are right now.

For my work, the XA10 is valuable because it has XLR connectors, and a shotgun microphone holder, which allows me to use a light on top without adding a shoe adapter. That is worth a lot to me. Of course it's images are very nice as well, but are they as good as those produced by the Sony? I don't know.

I do not know what size 1/2.88 translates to, but if that is larger than 1/3 inch, the sensor on the Sony has potential by virtue of it's size alone, which would cause me to look closely at it. If two sensors are equal except for sensor size, I will go with the larger one every time. It is the only logical choice, normally.

I have to admit, however, I am so in love with having a shotgun mic holder and additional shoe mount for a light, that I would sacrifice a tiny bit of quality in this case.

If you have not, Google the title of this thread, and spend a couple of hours, there will be comparisons out there by reviewers. You will start to see consistent themes emerge after you read enough, and that should help you a lot. This is what I did for the Canon Vs the Panasonic TM900. Image quality on the Canon edged out the Panasonic in virtually every comparison I read, and videos I saw in low light were awesome, so I went with it. Good luck
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:56 AM   #3
Trustee

Thank you Jeff, very good commentary....will consider all points mentioned.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
I do not know what size 1/2.88
It is very slightly larger than 1/3 inch; i.e., 0.347 vs 0.333 inches, not significant. What maybe more significant are the number of active pixels in this space) - fewer pixels generally means larger pixels, and the quality of the digital signal processor. FWIW the HV40 has a 1/ 2.7 (0.370 inch) sensor.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Steve, I apologize you were talking about the HF G10, and I went on about the XA10, but they do have the same sensor, FWIW.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Don, the HV40 sensor, is it the same as what's in the HV30? That's the size of the HV30 sensor too, I think. the G10 sensor pretty much destroys the HV30.

And you're right, the pixel count is important, forgot that and didn't look at that with the Sony's specs.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The Sony, on the surface would seem to be a better buy than the G10. On the other hand, the Sony seems to be a bit older of a model, therefore I'm guessing an older sensor, and that is where I would focus my research, I think, Steve.

The Canon does have, as Don points out so importantly, a native 1920x1080 sensor, which is important information. The Sony does not. Based on very limited info, I would give the edge to the Canon, but would hate missing out on the included shotgun. The Sony would tempt me, it looks much more pro, but I would be concerned about losing out on a newer higher quality sensor better suited for low light.

If you're shooting mostly in well-lit areas, and need great audio, the Sony would seem to be great, but I would also want to know about the menu, an how much manual control it has.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Trustee

Guys, thanks so much......I've decided to go with the Canon as I like the larger pixel size and the manual focus ring around the lens as opposed to the small dial the Sony uses.

Thanks again guys for the words............in the meantime if anyone has used both and cares to shares some notes- that would be excellent!
Cheers~
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #9
Wrangler

I'm not convinced that any shotgun mic bundled with a low cost camcorder is going to be worth much. It is likely to be noticeably better than the built-in mic, but not likely up to snuff compared with a separate modest cost shotgun such as as AT875, NTG-1, etc.. You pays your money and takes your choices.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders