How Rugged? HF S20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 26th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How Rugged? HF S20

I’m about to take off on a weeklong trip on my Harley and tent camping along the way. I have used my Sony DCR-HC96 mounted on my bike to take some video of my rides on other trips.

Enchanted Circle from Cuesta to Red River - YouTube

Which turned out alright – at least something to capture the ride if not perfect….
I would LOVE to try out that powered image stabilization on the new Canon doing the same thing, but I fear that I not dare to – that it wasn’t designed for that kind of vibration and would destroy it.

I’m actually skeptical of even bringing the new camera at all. I might try to pick up a Sealine bag for it specifically – I have a bigger one for my other sensitive electronics.

SealLine® gear protection - dry bags, backpacks, totes, duffles, organizers

Any input on how rugged these cameras are? The powered IS specifically – is that more robust than I believe it to be or am I correct that it is not designed to handle that kind of vibration?
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: How Rugged? HF S20

I’m using a RAM Mount system by the way – there isn’t any concern for the camera being damaged from falling off – it’s secure in that regard, but rigidly mounted.

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Major Player

You might try a Go-Pro to mount on your bike:
GoPro Official Website: The Worlds' Most Versatile Camera

Otherwise, you might look into the GoPro mounting suction cup and adapt to your cam. It's pretty ridgid. Two would hold your cam pretty steady.

Mark G
Old October 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks – I know there are options out there for HD Video for this application, but I was curious specifically about the Powered Image Stabilization – I’m not going to chance it.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders