DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HF-G10 Digital Zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/502998-hf-g10-digital-zoom.html)

Ronald Jackson November 24th, 2011 09:46 AM

HF-G10 Digital Zoom

Has anyone tried this? I think there is a fixed 1.5x or maybe 2x setting as well as the usual user settings.

It is the 1.5x/2x I'm interested in. I need a small (b) cam for wildlife filming and the G10 ticks most boxes apart from having a short maximum zoom.

Ron

Lou Bruno November 25th, 2011 04:21 PM

Re: HF-G10 Digital Zoom

Good results for 1.5 but not beyond on my XF-100.

Don Palomaki November 26th, 2011 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you would do better using a quality optical tele-converter than using digital zoom or a digital tele-converter setting. This opinion is based in part on a quick test I ran today.

The XA10 has a 2x digital zoom setting and shares many internals with the G10. In the x2 digital tele-converter setting It essentially uses the 960x540 pixels from the center of the image to form a 1920x1080 image. The results is about the same as scaling the image in a program like Photoshop, or digital zooming in your NLE.

The attached image is comprised a piece of a target I shot with the XA10 first at full optical zoom (10x) and than at 5x optical zoom with the x2 digital tele-converter. Thus both original images covered the same nominal x10 visual angle. I opened the footage in Neo 2,5 and capture stills from the video.. (The numbered scale is somewhat arbitrary. and does not equal video resolution in this specific test).

What the image shows is that for the same object/image size (same equivalent zoom setting) 10x optical zoom is much sharper than 5x optical zoom plus 2x digital zoom. I will post another test shortly.

Don Palomaki November 26th, 2011 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached give a comparison of x2 digital zoom in the XA10 compared to using 200% scaling on an image in the NLS. (In this case using the Layout function in Edius Neo 2.5.). The images are about the same.

Of course, using an optical tele-converter will cost you a stop or two of light. (Nothing is free.)

Ronald Jackson November 26th, 2011 09:43 AM

Thanks for this. I intend, If I get a G10, to buy a TC, otherwise the focal length pretty hopeless for wildlife filming other than close-ups/macro of course.

Had thought about using a TC with the 2x zoom but maybe not or only for emergency "record shots" as we call them.

Ron

Mark Goodsell November 26th, 2011 11:45 AM

I wonder if a cam like the Canon M32 would be worth considering as a second cam with better zoom? It has a 15x zoom and I bet it's not as W/A to begin with. Colors should match up pretty close to the G10, and right now B&H has them for $600. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/718162-REG/Canon_4743B001_VIXIA_HF_M32_Dual.html
Just a thought.

Don Palomaki November 26th, 2011 01:10 PM

The manual specification page typically will give the nominal field of view in 35mm still film terms

Maurice Covington November 26th, 2011 06:50 PM

Before purchasing one or both of the cams mentioned in this thread, in my opinion, one must consider the type of venue and if applicable, your earning potential. If you're starting a business or already have one that will afford you opportunities to shoot weddings and other special events, you might want to consider buying an XF or an XH model. I just bought the HF-G10 yesterday. Thus far it has not disappointed. I'll be honest though; I haven't seen much of a difference between this cam and my CanonHF S-20. If you buy something older, I don't think that you'll be missing out on anything by not buying the HF-G10. In fact I'm seriously thinking about returning it.

Mark Goodsell November 26th, 2011 09:23 PM

Maurice,

I agree. Good point.

Don Palomaki November 27th, 2011 07:32 AM

Keep in mind that the XA10 adds a few features/capabilities to the G10, for a price of course.

All depends you what you need for what you do and need to deliver to your end users.

Mark Goodsell November 27th, 2011 11:48 AM

...and also what the 'primary' cam is.

Ronald Jackson November 27th, 2011 12:19 PM

Primary cam is an XLH1 linked to a nanoFlash. I use various EOS lenses with this. I thought I'd give the basic 25p AVCHD out of the G-10 (say) a go by itself to see how it mixed with the footage (100mbps) off the Nano.

If not so good then I'd link the Nano to the G-10 BUT a nuisance of cables etc.

If I have to link the Nano then how good or bad the codec is from the (b) cam is neither here nor there, I'm more into the realms of how good the processor and the lens are.

If I could get a cheapish XH-G1 I would.

Ron

Don Palomaki November 28th, 2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Primary cam is an XLH1 linked to a nanoFlash. I use various EOS lenses with this.
Tough to match that setup for tele focal length potential!

Ronald Jackson November 28th, 2011 09:18 AM

Thanks Don, and yes I appreciate that I'm not going to get anywhere near the magnification I can get with the XLH1 plus EOS lenses.

Useful to have a b) cam though , with a bit of magnification, that I can use in situations where I couldn't carry my XLH1 outfit (which heavy!) or when I want some background shots without having to remove lenses rods and the like from the XL.

Anyway as from an hour ago I don't have a working a) camera as it just went dead on me. Batteries okay so maybe a bad connection somewhere, possibly not a fuse as I got a brief spasm of life 10 minutes ago then dead again!

Grrrr!

Ron

Mark Goodsell November 28th, 2011 07:20 PM

I guess based on that, the G10 would be a good fit. And you can get good audio if you go with something like a Sennheiser mic with a K6 module on it and possibly a balancing adapter. At any rate, the point is you can make it work...