Is The HF-G10 vs. Canon 60D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 12th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Is The HF-G10 vs. Canon 60D

I've got the HF-G10 and honestly, I'm not overly impressed I'm wondering if I should have considered the Canon 60D instead at a much lower price.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Is The HF-G10 vs. Canon 60D

1. Why weren't you impressed by the HF-G10?
2. Why do you think the Canon 60D would be better for you?
3. What is it exactly you want to record/make with these cameras?
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The 60d and the G10 are completely different cameras, and cannot be compared. The 60D requires lenses, and an array of lenses that will accomplish the same things as the g10 will cost you many hundreds of dollars.

The g10, with practice can capture beautiful video. Learn the camera before you give up on it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Not sure how the Canon 60D is any cheaper... With a compable lens (18-200mm) to the G10's lens you'll be out $1499, and the G10 is around $1250-$1300 many places now.

Very different cameras, and both great at what they were built for, but definitely not built for the same thing. What uses did you have in mind?
Ryan Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Major Player

I am in agreement that the cameras are different. I already own the HF-S20 and have not experienced a signifcant improvement to justify the cost for this camera. Thus far, they seem to be the same camera. I bought the camera as a backup camera for weddings , church services, anniversary parties, etc. The camera was also purchased as an introduction for me to Canon New technology as I am interested in both the XF100 and the 300.

The video imagery is good but I can't say that its blown me away. I do love the focus ring but using an XHA1s, I wish that there were two rings. The depth of field is not as good as. I believed it to be reading the many sites that I did and the low light didn't seem to improve much.

I am new at this and still trying to learn more about the camera and videography.
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Wrangler

As noted by others, the G10 and 60D are very different beasts optimized for different purposes. You would have to do a requirements analysis (and business case) to determine which would be better suited to your needs. And for that matter, whether or not the upgrade from the HF-S20 was a good decision for you.

The same would apply to a move to a XF100 if you already have the G10 or XA10. The improvements or differences tend to be incremental with each step up teh line.

For example, two or three rings are valuable on a manned camera in manual mode, but arguably much less important on an unmanned camera that is locked down and running for the duration of an event.
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Covington View Post
The video imagery is good but I can't say that its blown me away. I do love the focus ring but using an XHA1s, I wish that there were two rings. The depth of field is not as good as. I believed it to be reading the many sites that I did and the low light didn't seem to improve much.
Maurice, no offends, but to be blown away by the image you need to spend a bit more than $1000 :)
I am guessing DOF is "not as good" means not as shallow as you expected, but it's 1/3", it is about 15x smaller than APSc, don't expect it to be FF f/0.9 shallow :),
and if you know any other video camera in the same price range that makes better video please let me know
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Maurice, the problem was your expectations were too high. It's still a video camera.

Try this, though. Go into a relatively dark room set your gain at 18db max, and record. You will see no grain. That alone should be worth something. It's still a 1/3" sensor, but what lovely images it can capture. Same as XF100, pretty much, but without the nice buttons, etc that well all love.

Next step up would be, IMO, the AG130, but if you're looking to be blown away, and the Canon doesn't do it, the Panasonic might disappoint also.

If you really do regret the purchase, the 60D is a totally fantastic camera, but be prepared for a journey as you learn how to shoot with it. Early on with DSLR it can be very rough.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; December 13th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
the 60D is a totally fantastic camera, but be prepared for a journey as you learn how to shoot with it. Early on with DSLR it can be very rough.
It seems those who "fall right in" to working with DSLRs are those who spent a long "involvement" behind the viewfinders of SLR cameras. A good grounding in the principles of photography helps tremendously.

When the 7D first came out and I got my hands on one I found for the first time in video I could apply to motion picture work all of the photographic principles I'd used in a career in professional photography.

The 60D is an incredible photographic tool, more features packed into that camera than I ever thought would be possible. Combine it with the discipline it takes to do good motion picture and you have an unbeatable combination.

Now, my advice to Maurice: Keep the G10 and add the 60D to your gear. Each will do things the other won't as well or as easily. You can rely on the G10 while you learn the "Way Of The DSLR".

The learning process: Lots of still photos. Research principles of Professional Photography on the web and apply what you find. Apply that to motion picture (once learned) will come easier.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Really great comment/feeback, Bruce. I am still awed by the depth of the knowledge required for great photography. As a self-taught videographer, my first DSLR (40D) rocked my world, in several ways. It was exciting and daunting at the same time. The relationship between shutter speed and exposure, and the zillion combinations of them still confuse me at times. I admire experienced, professional photographers, and feel wedding photography, done right, is a very difficult trade to learn. It's why I cringe every time I see a thread beating up photographers. I imagine myself trying to get a shot AND staying out of the video and it seems too daunting.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Major Player

@ Jeff Harper (Try this, though. Go into a relatively dark room set your gain at 18db max, and record. You will see no grain.)

I tried this and there was a considerable amount of grain in the footage. Now that being said, it was much better than what I would have expected.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Major Player

@ Bruce Foreman...I actually am a photographer first. The video is something that I just picked up and can't seem to put down. I know that I should probably stick to one or the other but as you know, being a photographer, it can become addictive. That being said, I'll keep the G10 given the convenience of carrying it instead of my XHA1s. As discussed throughout this forum, I will continue to play with the camera and hopefully master its features. As it relates to the 60D, having not really done anything substantial with HDSLR video, I cant imagine what this camera can't do that my HG10 can do other than shoot continuously for an extended period of time.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Sorry, Maurice, I thought the XA-10 was identical in that way. Apparently they are not, I'm sorry to hear that, as I have considered a G10 as a fourth cam. The XA-10 has absolutely no grain at 18db, and very little up to 21dB. That is truly a bummer. That being said, images I've seen from some around here on the G10 are awfully nice. Too bad it's not what you hoped for. I felt that way when I got my FX1000 light years ago. I was used to the PD150 and VX1000 and the FX1000 was a real letdown in the lowlight dept.
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #14
Major Player

You know Jeff, its interesting that you say that about the grain. I have always thought that the sensor was the same too. Now let me offer this to you, I actually went out last night and shot moving footage (footage from a car) of the Christmas light decorations in the neighborhood. Grain was present in any area that was black. Meaning between houses where there was minimal or no light but where there were lights, big or small, the footage was very good but I could still see some grain. It probably wouldn't get discarded if I had to use it, if fact I know it wouldn't.

What are your other two Cams? Have you ever compared the XA10 to the HF-S20 (21)?
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Major Player

Jeff, is there a way that I can send a small clip of the footage to you. I believe my shutter was 1/48 with 18db @ 24P
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders